Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Moose in trouble

Old 02-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moose in trouble

I think we all agree that the pics. on this thread show wolves killing the moose. The article even says that the pack in the picture is a known study pack! It is a fact that coyotes can/do pack up also, usually during harsh winter conditions when larger prey become the primary source of food, because with deep snow larger prey is more vulnerable and smaller prey is harder to catch.
As far as 80 pound coyotes running around. I have seen a couple of pics. in the recent years of such critters, BUT short of DNA testing, who's to say that they weren't a crossbreed of some sort! Even then, 80# critters will have a much harder time at tackling a full grown moose when compared to 150# wolves! Could 60#-80# critters tackle a moose, probablya smaller moose that is in deep snow! Deep crusty snow is the equalizer factor that puts large prey at a greater risk. That and the fact thatduring harsh winters the deer, elk, and moose are often struggling just to survive anyways!
It is a fact that some of the eastern coyotes are larger than the western. Just how much larger is up for debate,and DNA testing would be necassary to postively identify coyote or coyote/wolf cross! Also, those eastern coyotes can have some really cool color phases that aren't found in the west!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 AM

I guess I don't see it...there is no way those are yotes...
Old 02-16-2007, 10:39 AM

Wolves or Coyotes, its amazing that they can take down an animal of that size. A whitetail deer is onething a moose is another.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler
Even then, 80# critters will have a much harder time at tackling a full grown moose when compared to 150# wolves! Could 60#-80# critters tackle a moose, probablya smaller moose that is in deep snow!
i f you read the whole article, the wolves only wieghed 80 lbs.... this was a study pack on an island, so i'd guess they have thier stats right...
Old 02-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I stand corrected. The part where the author says something about the moose dragging 160#'s is what threw me, I missed that he was referring to two wolves, not one!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think we all agree that the pics. on this thread show wolves killing the moose. The article even says that the pack in the picture is a known study pack!
There is no doubt about it !

As far as 80 pound coyotes running around. I have seen a couple of pics. in the recent years of such critters, BUT short of DNA testing, who's to say that they weren't a crossbreed of some sort!
This has been performed on a large number of coyotes here by Maine State Biologists and it was confirmed. The coyotes here have crossed with wolves on the way here they stated. The Eastern Timber Wolve and Coyote had been breeding on the way here. Thus giving the coyotes the name of the Eastern Coyote, unlike its western cousins they grow much larger. It is common for them to travel in packs during the winter months.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:48 PM

Yea, but the yotes in Ohio are bigger and smarter too!!! They also howl different, but I still shoot them at 800 yards with my 223 Savage.

Sorry, that is just what popped into my head.