Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbits????

Old 02-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rabbits????

anyone else on here love to rabbit hunt but jus dont have many rabbits to hunt. been out over 24 hours this year hunting them with a buddy an we jumped a grand total of8. we dont have a dog, id like to get one but i still dont think it would make a difference... i was thinkin bout goin to buy a few a lettin them go around where we hunt see if the population comes up.. think it would help?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:59 PM

Default RE: Rabbits????

The coyote population is thriving around my area and the rabbits arent doing so good. Different years show different numbers and this year there are some but no where near what the usally are. There just a animal i hunt in the offseason and when i not doing anything else. Try hunting them with a bow, thats fun!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:37 AM

ya its a lot of fun. went 20 days and only kicked out about 15 w/o a dog.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Ive killed 2 with a bow before by stalking them, that was really fun. My grandpa actually ownes a campground not to far from where i live and you can go stand out in the yard and see about 8-12 at once just looking along the edge of the woods. I usually hunt them with a .22 long and shoot them in the head (of course).
Old 02-14-2007, 07:24 PM

Hey Jake what is the name of your Grandfathers campground may have stayed there at one time???
Old 02-14-2007, 07:31 PM

Its called Archway Campround, Its right outside of New Paris Ohio down the road from cedar springs resort. The reason its called Archway is because there is a Arch on the other side of the woods that is visible in some spots from the campground and especially during the winter months because the lack of leaves.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'd be surprised how much ofa diff. dogs will make. I've got 7 beagles now and they'll burn the hide off a rabbit. Not to mention they'll jump him so I don't have to get in the briars. In terms of relocating them, I personally don't feel it will help much. I have a feeling by bringing new ones in your area, foxes/yotes will get them easier since they don't know the lay of the land and where the holes are to get away from predators. But then again, I guess it couldn't hurt to try it. I'd focus more on predator control, food, and habitat for the bunnies though. If you do this, you won't have to worry about bringing a new supply of rabbits in. Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:48 PM

I think you may be hunting in the wrong area . Try different spots . I went last weekend and flushed up dozens . I tried alot of spots before I found a good area . As for starting your own population - I would think that the rabitts may not know to hide when danger is near ,, and would be easy prey .
Old 02-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dogs are almost everything.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that a good dog will make all the difference.