Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

dog tracks vs. coyote tracks

Old 02-10-2007, 01:30 PM

Default dog tracks vs. coyote tracks

whats the difference? there is a bunch of tracks in my woods but i dont know if they are dog or coyote. whats a good way in determining which is which?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:09 PM

Default RE: dog tracks vs. coyote tracks

anyone?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

i google it once i did it awhile back had some good info, dont remember it off the top of my head.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:55 PM

You should go to a search engine and look for prints or photos of coyote tracks. The coyote tracks arenarrower and more pointed than a dogs tracks. However, I have been fooled by a few medium sized dogs with a more pointed track.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is really no way to tell for sure. Coyotes are typically longer, narrower, and tighter than most dogs. Some dogs can look a lot like a yoter. And then you have the ground conditions which can really change the way the tracks look. Depending on how remote it is, and how bad people are about keeping their dogs up could have alot to do with it to. Drive around and see how many domestic dogs are around, should give you a good idea.

Later,

Marcial

Old 02-11-2007, 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: charlie brown

There is really no way to tell for sure. Coyotes are typically longer, narrower, and tighter than most dogs. Some dogs can look a lot like a yoter. And then you have the ground conditions which can really change the way the tracks look. Depending on how remote it is, and how bad people are about keeping their dogs up could have alot to do with it to. Drive around and see how many domestic dogs are around, should give you a good idea.

Later,

Marcial

OK?

try this link

http://finsandfur.net/forums/index.php?topic=821.0

there IS ways of telling for sure!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:17 PM

P.S. being in upstate NY you have no shortage of snow! Look at the tracks in question, if they go in a straight line then they are coyote. If they sway from side to side then they are domestic dog.

That IS and easy way to tell!
Old 02-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

coyotes run in a straight line almost and never run the same track again unless there are alot of snow then they'll run deer but otherwise coyote yes are more pointier and look similiar to a pointed clover dog will be much wider with their toes hope this helps
Old 02-12-2007, 10:35 AM

""and never run the same track again unless there are alot of snow then they'll run deer""

I am not sure that is true, coyotes always take the path of least resistance. So if a coyote travels down a path to get somewhere, then what? does he need to find a new path??
Old 02-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no sure fire way to know if it is a yote or not.. those things on the other forum may help a little but it aint a sure thing. Just like the coyote walk in straight lines. Yes they might but domestic dogs can walk straight lines too. Nothing is for sure.

Quick Reply: dog tracks vs. coyote tracks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.