Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

dog tracks vs. coyote tracks

Old 02-12-2007, 05:33 PM
RJH

Default RE: dog tracks vs. coyote tracks

The coyotes on the property I hunt hit the same tracks and run they same areas all the time.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

There is no sure fire way to know if it is a yote or not.. those things on the other forum may help a little but it aint a sure thing. Just like the coyote walk in straight lines. Yes they might but domestic dogs can walk straight lines too. Nothing is for sure.
Are you serious?? Did you click on the link and see the tracks for your self? It is for sure. SO, if you are out scouting and area and see tracks, do you not go back and hunt that area "in case" it is a domestic dog?

If you know what to look for then you would know that it is A. coyote or B. domestic dog.

I suggest you look at that link again and study it.

as far as coyotes using the same path or not, I hunt this piece of powerline, in the snow I find a highway of COYOTE tracks on one side of the powerline. It happens to be the opposite side of where the logs and brush are dumped when the power company trims the trees away. (path of least resistance) If I step, drive my quad or it snows over those tracks, when I come back the tracks are right back in the exact same place until they split of and hunt then regroup on the same pathway.

Again, if you know what to look for then it is a sure thing!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

No its not.. Half the time you dont get that kind of definition as those piks show, so as i said its not always a sure thing.. you try checkin tracks in 5 inches of snow.. it aint that defined.. so you wouldnt be able to see the difference between coyote and a dog..
Old 02-12-2007, 07:05 PM

OK here it is, if you look real close at the tracks in question a coyotes front paws are larger than the rear and almost always shows the nail print in them. The reason being that it is easier for them to catch smaller prey with the larger front paws.A domastic dogs tracks are all the same size.This is what I have read on I think it was Varmint Al's website. And as far as walking in a straight line that is false also. If that were the case I would think that any predator would miss out on alot of meals and walk on past them.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 PM

I agree on some but disagree on some lumberjack.

The nail prints is a dead giveaway and the front paws being bigger that the back is also true. Thanks for pointing that out!

But the side to side thing is true. coyotes walk in a straight line, domestics do not.

Coyotes are going to point A to point B by their travel route, it is the same travel route UNLESS something spoils that route. They travel that route because they know it, trust it and know how to use it's terrian. Much like Deer.

coyotes also have set Den sites, assembly areas and Hunting areas. So by saying that they Might miss food sources by walking in a straight line is untrue. They know what land and terrian holds food and they go to it. When the food source dries up, they find another. Thats why coyotes have such a huge range that they travel every day, Some studies show the N.E. coyote has up to 20 miles to travel that they do everyday.

I admit that on occasion they might stumble on a mouse under the snow or rabbit by suprise, but they generally hunt where the food sources are.

With all that being said and you still don't trust your track ID skills try locating at night to find your coyotes. Because 95% of the time if you go out howling after 9 or so at night and you get a vocal response, you have found a denning site.

Easterns are MUCH less vocal than westerns and not as abundant. You have to get them where they live and feel comfortable responding to that "easy meal" or when you create a territorial response by them. Easterns will most always respond vocally from a den site, not hunting grounds or travel route. They are very cautious to give up there location unless they are on their turf. (again, where they are comfortable)

Good luck guys!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:37 PM

Fingerz, I am not picking on you, just want to offer info!
Old 02-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats okay I like the info. Your last post was good.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once you identify enough coyote tracks and learn what they look like, there will be no doubt in your mind between a dog of any size, and a coyote. Like was said, the coyotes tracks will be one infront of the other no matter if the coyote is walking, trotting, or running where as all dogs will have tracks that are side by side.
Looking at a single track may be confusing, so instead look at the pattern of tracks!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:40 AM

Thanks Browning for correcting me on the straight line walk, never to old to learn.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:51 AM

Howler: Good post!

Lumberjack: we all have info to share. We all learn something from each other.

Quick Reply: dog tracks vs. coyote tracks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.