Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Who Makes the Best .22 round for an auto-loader?

Old 01-20-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Who Makes the Best .22 round for an auto-loader?

I'm looking at getting an auto-loader .22 of gophers, and I hear their really picky about the ammo they shoot, I know that whith a bolt action repeater you can just use whatever is cheap, so what do you auto-loader owners shoot?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who Makes the Best .22 round for an auto-loader?

CCI Velocitors have won over the heart of my Remington 597. A bit pricier than some ammo, but to me it's well worth it.

A brick of Remington Thunderbolts (500) can be bought for around $10 here. A pack of 50 CCI Velocitors goes for about $3.75.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:58 PM

I have always liked CCI Mini-Mags and Remington Target. I got a 10/22 that loves CCI Stingers but a lot of guns don't.I would at least trya box ofStingers to see if your groups are consistent or not.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:43 PM

If you want to see some damage go to cci stinger hollows. I used them on beavers in the past with great luck until i bought a .17hmr. I haven't shot my ol .22 in 3 years now.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Hiawtha:

I've only shot the Velocitors so far. Have you shot those, and if so, how would you rate these against the Stingers?

I'm always game to upsetting my wife and trying out more ammo. LOL!

Old 01-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I've had the best luck with stingers too, Wildcat is a favorite for me, although the CCIs perform well too. The "by the pound" varieties are ok for cheap plinking, but lack the quality and punch of the stingers for game.
Here's a nasty little small varmint round: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=49925
They're great little lung shredders or brain scramblers, the target rarely goes far if they do bolt at impact. Check your state's law before ordering though, some states may disallow frangible or "dum-dum" rounds.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

cci stingers
Old 01-21-2007, 04:44 PM

I've only shot the Velocitors so far. Have you shot those, and if so, how would you rate these against the Stingers?
You can not compare the two. Just go buy a box and see for yourself. The Stinger holds a smaller bullet but has alengthened case which makes impressive power for a 22lr.
I have shot the Velocitors and do not care for them myself.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:43 PM

I have never shot the velocitors, i bought a bunch of cases of stingers a few years back and have just been strictly that. Before that rem yellow jackets were not bad as well but i found nothing really stood up for beavers like the stingers so i went to them full time.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

i shoot either CCI stingers or mini mags. both pack a punch. i really like the mini mags in my browning buckmark pistol. i just like the extra power on blow back operated 22s.

stingers are a good bullet. me and a buddy did some testing shooting into wood blocks. the penetrated the best and had a picture perfect mushroom. looked like the pics of the big game bullets..just a PERFECT mushroom. i killed a good couple groundhogs with stingers. head and lung shots...deadly. as well as squirrels. some guns dont like stingers..i dont know if its the velocity or what..but they are 2-4$ for 50 at walmart i believe so it wont be a killer on the wallet to try em out..i think mini mags run about 3-5$ for 100rds if im not mistaken..

Quick Reply: Who Makes the Best .22 round for an auto-loader?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.