Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Breaking a barrel in?????

Old 12-27-2006, 09:47 PM

Default Breaking a barrel in?????

I have a .223 and they say to break a barrel in.( shoot 20 times and clean after every shot) Is that neccessary? I didnt do it but i did only shoot a couple shots and stop for a while and repeat!!! is that a good or way or not or does it not really matter if you do it much or not??? Thanks so much for any input!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:14 PM

Default RE: Breaking a barrel in?????

i personally don't mess with any of that. partly because i was ignorant of it the last time i purchased a gun.

check this topic:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1885469
Old 12-28-2006, 07:25 AM

Breaking in a barrel properly is the only way to insure consistant lasting accuracy out of a gun.

It is an absolute must for any rifle! (period)

The most important factor in the breaking in process is to not let the barrel get to hot but to run a boresnake down without solvent after every shot for the first 20 and then after five and then after ten. Then when it's cooled give it a good cleaning making sure to remove all copper and lead deposits.

There are other processes but this is what works for me.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:57 AM

What about the way that i did it? I shot a couple let it cool shot a couple let it cool etc. I cleaned it after a few times of doing that... is this ok to do? Thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 10:20 AM

This is probably the best answer I found

http://www.larrywillis.com/Barrel.html
Old 12-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is what I talked about earlier, this forum is full of so many helpful and knowledgeable people. I am buying a new rifle soon and never heard about breaking in a barrel. Now I know and now I can help keep my guns in bettor shape. Thank you to all of you who post quality material.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a really interesting article. I'd never heard of this procedure before. But, seems to me that even if you don't follow the "break-in" procedure, you aren't actually damaging anythingand will regain any lost accuracy IF you use a good copper solvent and get the barrel good and clean. Isn't that what the article is saying? That the break-in procedure is a method to reduce or minimize copper fouling?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:01 PM

I don't believe in breaking in the barrel, if the owner's manual doesn't suggest it, or even bring it up for that matter, than it must be unnecessary and or worthless.

*EDIT* After a quick Google search I came across this: http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html

Just a little something to back up my previous statement.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Predator26

if the owner's manual doesn't suggest it, or even bring it up for that matter, than it must be unnecessary and or worthless.
This is probably why I'd never done it or heard of it until I started coming to these forums.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:35 AM

"Breaking in" a barrel is a total waste of time.i just shoot10 or 20 rounds and then thoroughly clean the barrel. It is important not to let the barrel get too hot, whether new or otherwise. My guns shoot just as well as those that were painstakenly "broken in" by their owners.