Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

newbie to coyote hunting - help please

Old 12-24-2006, 05:32 PM

Default newbie to coyote hunting - help please

hey all,
Me and my brother want to get into coyote hunting in PA. What equipment are we going to need to get? What are some good calls? Any tips and techniques that you all can share would be great.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2006, 06:14 PM

Default RE: newbie to coyote hunting - help please

First of all your going to need scent killer. You need to be in a secluded place where they wont be able to see you that well. you cannot move because they sence it really well. They will sometimes (especially males) will stay in some brush and look out to see what is out there before they come out so you may not know there there. What kind of gun are you going to use? Using a cottontail distress call works VERRY VERRY well.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scent killer is NOT needed and is a waste. Think about it! A coyote is a canine, now think what a drug sniffing dog is capable of! Instead of trying to hide your scent, which you will not do from a coyote, set up so as to force the coyote to expose himself before he can get downwind of you, where you can see him and shoot him before he gets to your scent cone.
You will need camo. to match your surroundings. You will need a call, whether it be a hand call or E-caller. You will need some knowledge of what sounds you are needing to make in order to call them to you, if you choose hand calls. So buy a calling video and watch and listen to how it's done. You will obviously need a weapon and a place that holds coyotes![8D]
Old 12-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Spike

I also plan on coyote hunting soon (hopefully this weekend) with my Winchester 1300. I have #4 shot coming in which I was told would be a goodshot for them at close range.

It is illeagal to hunt anything but racoons in RI so I am not too sure how successful I am going to be. Aren't coyotes mostly nocturnal? Does the rabbit call really work that well?

Thanks for any tips or tricks!
Old 12-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

the #4 shot will do out to maybe 30 yards. A better load would be the 4 buck in a 3" shell!
Old 12-26-2006, 06:44 PM

what about 30-06 is this a good gun?
Old 12-26-2006, 11:16 PM

that gun will put them down, no doubt, but if you want to preserve the pelts take SEVERAL steps back in power.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:30 PM

I disagree and aggree with howler. I get where he is coming from about them being able to, well dogs anyway sniff out drugs. First of all drugs make a lot more scent and one little sniff of human and they are gone. Why not use scent killer because maybe it will give you that extra few vital seconds you may need. How do ya like them apples???lol jk
Old 12-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why not use scent killer because maybe it will give you that extra few vital seconds you may need. How do ya like them apples???lol jk
The problem I see with anyone using scent killer is this, you/they will get sloppy in your/their set up, THINKING that they won't smell you/them before getting to a point that you can shoot them. The guys that kill lots and lots of coyotes every year don't use any scent killer, instead they learn how to set up properly to kill the coyote before it has a chance to smell them, and they use the money they saved by NOT buying scent killer/scent blocker clothing and instead put it toward more important things like new rifles, more ammo. and gas money to go hunting!
Of course it is your moneyso you can spend it however you want. But I've got more important things to spend mine on![8D]
Old 12-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jake smith09

First of all your going to need.....

....to forget everything he just posted.

Scent killer is useless against a coyote's nose. Coyotes do not SNIFF human scent, they use it to ignite the afterburners hidden under their tail. I don't understand the stuff about males liking it in the bushbut I do prefer apples over oranges. For what it's worth.

Quick Reply: newbie to coyote hunting - help please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.