Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

skinnin squirrels

Old 11-29-2006, 06:20 PM

Default skinnin squirrels

how do you guys do it? im a newbie to squirrel hunting and me and my buddy are gonna give it a try.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: skinnin squirrels

take a knife and cut a ring around the belly and middle back. u grab one side, have your friend grab the other and pull. make sure to pull out the front and back legs. then just get a hatchet and cut him up. i usually keep both front and back legs the lower part of his back. theres not much meat on the rib cage.

it takes me about 20 - 40 min to completely skin out a squirrel and its tough to pluck all the fur off the meat when ur done.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

i only take off the meat from the back legs. this takes maybe 5 minutes a squirrell.

take a knive and cut the skin right above the two back legs. Cut all the way around. Then peal the skin down towards its feet, it should be just like peeling off a sock. once you reach the knee the skin wont pull much more so you just need to break the bone at the knee and maybe cut a tendon. then cut the meat at the top of the leg and twist until the hip ball pops out.

the final product is two squirrell hams.

they taste best if you boil water and dump them in until they look like chicken, then just peel it off the bone.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:28 AM

thanks guys
Old 12-01-2006, 03:56 PM

make a cut middle of his back hold head with one hand,pull with pointer and bird fingers in cut,cut tail and feet off pull hide off back endnow grab hind legs pull hideoff front legs cut feet and neck off. takes 30 sec.
Bowhunter46 how big them squirrels you killin?