Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

get me started on coyotes.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:05 AM

Default get me started on coyotes.

I live in southern KY and we are loaded down with yotes. Starting at about 11 they start howling in all directions and dont end till sun up. Im looking to start acually coyote hunting and not just shooting one when ever i see em. I have a 270 and i am consedering getting a 22-250. I have shot one coyote during the spring turkeyseason and shot at one with my bow.So I know how easily they get spooked. What will i need to get as far as calls, lights and how to use them. Any input would be greatly appreciated. THANKS
Old 11-05-2006, 09:15 AM

Default RE: get me started on coyotes.

you need alot of sent lock. you can by this at alot of places. you dont need a light for hunting them the light will just scare them off.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need a shread of scentlok, or any other type of scent killer clothing. What you need to do is learn how and where to set up before calling so that the coyote can't smell, or your tracks walking in,you before you kill it! You might be able to fool a deer with scentlok, BUT a coyotes ability to smell is a heck of a lot better than a deers ability.
About any distress call will call a coyote. Learning to make just any distress call do just that, you need to have an idea of what it should sound like. Get a predator calling video and watch and listen to how it's done. It's not rocket science, BUT if you don't come close to sounding distressed, you won't call much in.
Wear good camo, to match your surroundings. The 22-250 is a great choice for killin' coyotes, although your .270 will do fine until then!
If you call them in at night and use a light, simply don't shine it directly at them, instead keep them in the hallow of the light. All you're looking to see are the reflective eyes. Make sure you can positively identify your target at night, as many different critters may respond! Night callingwill be more productive, BUT once it gets really cold, calling them in during any time of day will work! A shotgun, with 4 buck,might be better for night hunting!
Get into your calling area quietly and unseen. Don't talk, don't slam car doors, etc. Sit and calloff and on for at least 15 minutes. Be prepared from the very beginning to the very end for incomers. Don't get caught moving.Coyoteswon't stand around long after they see any movement, and if they smell you, they will run away about as fast as if theywere shot at!
Old 11-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you can get a spotlight that is about 100K to 200K candlepower with a red lens, that would be idea. They keep making spotlights brighter and brighter (some are at 2m CP), and you really don't need one that bright.

I do most of my calling during the daytime because its easier to see and shoot without trying to hold a gun and a spotlight on the coyote at the same time. If you sound distressed enough, they will come to you whether it's 10 degrees or 110 degrees outside.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:50 PM

Thank you all for showing an interest in helping me. As far as calling goes what techniques do you use and which calls do you reccomend for a begginer. I have seen a decoy used on tv it was a fur ball that was slinging through the air. Is that recomended by anyone. Thanks agian
Old 11-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

A decoy is the least needed piece of equipment for being successful at killing predators. You'll be better off spending that money on a few different calls. I'd suggest an enclosed reed call or twoto start with. The enclosed reed call is very easy to use, and is effective. Maybe buy an open reed or two also. They are more versatile at making different sounds, including coyote vocals, BUT to get started, the enlcosed will be hard to beat!
At this point in the season, the coyote pups have dispersed and are easy to call in with simple distress calls. Stick with that for now, it will work just fine!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:45 PM

Dont sweat it higgy, ill "show an interest in helping you" anytime. lol Id have to tell you to get a $600 .22-250 that looks tite, $150 in calls (electronic/mouth), a $90 spotlight, and $300 scent control suit. then we can go to brents and ill videotape.

brent saw another coyote today in the bottoms, if you get that gun well go over christmas break and try to get one. by the way, i was jk bout the gun. it looks cool.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Howler

A decoy is the least needed piece of equipment for being successful at killing predators. You'll be better off spending that money on a few different calls. I'd suggest an enclosed reed call or twoto start with. The enclosed reed call is very easy to use, and is effective. Maybe buy an open reed or two also. They are more versatile at making different sounds, including coyote vocals, BUT to get started, the enlcosed will be hard to beat!
At this point in the season, the coyote pups have dispersed and are easy to call in with simple distress calls. Stick with that for now, it will work just fine!
What he said.

Don't buy a decoy. Just use a feather and a piece of string. In about 15 minutes walking around the creek bottoms here, I can load up on turkey feathers. I'll tie them to a nearby branch or something and let them wiggle in the breeze. The motion will take a little bit of the focus off me.