Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.22 LR too small for coyotes?

Old 11-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .22 LR too small for coyotes?

I have recently moved to central IL. The farm I have permission to deer hunt is overloaded with yotes. I have really never hunted them before but have recentlybecome interested in giving it a try. I bought my first predator call and tried it out while bowhunting for deer last night. I got two small yotes to answer the call but couldn't get them within bow range. Does anyone have any tips or pointers for a nube predator hunter. If so I would appreciate the help. Also is a .22 LR to small a caliber to use. If so what do you recomend. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .22 LR too small for coyotes?

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

I have recently moved to central IL. The farm I have permission to deer hunt is overloaded with yotes. I have really never hunted them before but have recentlybecome interested in giving it a try. I bought my first predator call and tried it out while bowhunting for deer last night. I got two small yotes to answer the call but couldn't get them within bow range. Does anyone have any tips or pointers for a nube predator hunter. If so I would appreciate the help. Also is a .22 LR to small a caliber to use. If so what do you recomend. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I would say you might want a little bit larger rifle. ilike to use my .223 for yotes. It's cheap to shoot and is accurate for up to 300 yards. as for techniques, make sure you are downwind and don't call constantly. some people like to mix in a few different types of calls as well. rabbit in distress, coyote pups, howling.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

the 22lr is good to kill coyotes, that are already in traps!! You need to at least use a 22 mag., the .223 would be even better!
Most any distress call on the market will call a coyote. You need to learn that they will try to come from your downwind side, so you need to set up so that you can see downwind and shoot them before they smell you. Coyote can be called any time of day, but early morning and early evenings will produce best, until it gets really cold, then any time of the day is good.
I'd suggest buying a predator calling video to watch and listen to the sounds that you want to mimic. basically, you need to make distress sounds that have excitement to them. Think about a bunny that is in a death grip of a hawk, or the likes. Call for a minute, or less, maybe a bit more, than sit quietly and watch for a couple mintues. Nothing in view, then do it again. A coyote can show up in 30 seconds, 5 minutes, or 15 minutes, so be ready from the first blow on the call!
Old 11-29-2006, 11:27 AM

for 75 yards and less you should be ok. Cabela's sell some 60 grain bullets. those should definitely work.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

If you want to kill the coyotes, and find them, don't shoot em' with a 22lr. It will kill some and wound more! This is one of the most over-asked questions on the internet... and everytime someone responds YEAH IT'S A FINE CALIBER because they shot one- one time- and it died in sight. Use a centerfire 22 caliber of some sort, or even a larger round... just kill them dead even if you don't intend to skin them. You owe them that much.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, if i personally were trying to take yotes with the .22. I'd at least wait until i was within good range where it would have even better impact.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:37 PM

i prefer the 22-250 for yote but hunt them often with my 35 Marlin lever gun, overkill yes but its hard for a yote to say no to 200 grains of ballistic tipped death. in my opinion unless its flat out all you have to use and close range no a .22lr is hardly enough. even with the hotter loads i dont like them. now i have been known to pack my .17hmr but i go for head shots on them and that kind of shot is easy to keep consistant with my little Marlin. Only reason I do is the bullet although smaller usually causes a notable amount of difference over a 22 shot.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:01 PM

i would say its OK to use, the 22-250 or the .223 would be a better choice, but i have kill plenty of yotes with a 22LR, they were within 60 or so yrds, but they were all clean shots, and they all died almost upon impact