Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Anyone ever make a homemade decoy?

Old 03-24-2006, 05:13 PM

Default Anyone ever make a homemade decoy?

Has anyone ever made a homemade decoy for coyote/fox. I heard some people say they've put a bumble ball inside of a stuffed rabbit with some success. Any other ideas? Appreciate any info. Trying to get those wiley coyotes eyes looking at something other than me when I'm calling!!
Old 03-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone ever make a homemade decoy?

It can be as simple as a stuffed animal or even tying a feather on string to a tree justa little bit away from you. The feather works good because if there is any breeze at all, the feather will move. And movement draws a lot of attention.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:49 PM
usa
Fork Horn

I have used the following for year's with great success, use a cheap fishing reel"zebco 202"and attach a coon tail , when you are setting up hang the coontail over a limb or bush about 20 -30 yds from you, hold the line next to your leg to hide movement and when you call twitch the line and make the tail either jump up and down or if you are using a mouse or squirrel squeeker just pull the line and it will make the tail stand up like a squirrel looking around. I also have a spring decoy that work,s well in treeless area's, same fishing reel but use a 6'' spring attached to a 1''x4'' board about 10 '' long , drive one of those long nails through the front of the board slanted towards you , when you set up step on the board to anchor it to the ground then you will have your coontail attached to the top of the spring and your fishline attached to the middle of the spring , when you pull the line the taill will flop back and forth like an injured animal, good luck
Old 04-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was wondering the same thing. i've heard alot of recommendations about the feathers. you could also try a stuffed animal or something like that. i'm going to try and make something by this weekend to use.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

i didnt shoot it, but i got a coyote in by tying a squirrel tail to the end of fishing line, cast it out over my lawn and got one in pretty close. I spooked it before i could get a shot off.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:30 AM

Thanks guys. I ended up buying a tanned rabbit hide and sewed a mini-bumble ball inside of it. Got both of off ebay for 12$. Looks awesome because of the real fur and jumps all over the place because of the bumble ball. I filled the rest of the hide with cotton stuffing and it cut down on some of the noise the bumble ball makes. I think it will work very well. It's still is kinda noisey though, but I will be calling and it might drown out the sound. Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:22 AM

Never used a decoy while calling for them but when I am trapping a take a sqirle tail and stick it in the ground near my set the wiind makes the tail twitch and they come over to check it out - when the get a little closer they can smell the bait better and notice the dirt hole set more which is even more eye appeal then they're pretty much a goner.

i have heard that anything that will resemble a prey animal will work as a decoy the whole purpose is not neccessarily to bring them in that's what the call is for the purpose of the decoy is so that they keep their eyes on the dec and not on you when you pull up to shoot or shift to get into a better position for the shot.