Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Feral cat trap

Old 02-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Feral cat trap

I have some approx. 22"X10"X10" have-a-heart traps and I'd like to trap some of the feral/stray cats around here. Any ideas how to do this? Will my traps work or should I get another kind? All tips/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:20 PM

Default RE: Feral cat trap

that will work ; although the next size would be better.

just take some sardines in oil and mix with canned cat food , fish flavor. use that to set the trap and you should have no problem.I have caught all there are around my place.

they will be "MAD" when you get to the trap the next morning.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You talking next size bigger? Anything tricks I should know? Thx.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

That's the same size I have , and it works just fine for cats . The sardines work with or without the cat food , but they will also attract coons , possums , and other varmints too . Take the cats you trap to the closest pound when you catch them or donate them to a nearby dairy farm .
Old 02-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

That's the same size I have , and it works just fine for cats . The sardines work with or without the cat food , but they will also attract coons , possums , and other varmints too . Take the cats you trap to the closest pound when you catch them or donate them to a nearby dairy farm .
Why dairy farm - for small rodent control?
Old 02-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

The best feral cat trap is a .17 round behind the shoulder. The pound will likely just gas them, and if they are really feral, you could get pretty scratched up just gettng them out of the trap.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard to bait them for a week w/ the food on the outside of the trap, then fast them for a day, then put the bait inside the trap. Does this work better than putting the bait inside the trap on the 1st night?

Do I need to conceal the trap w/ a blanket or natural vegetation? What about newspaper on the bottome of the trap?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:53 AM

i love seeing this thread talking about donating them to the pound and such, then i look a few threads below and it shows guys wanting to harvest them non stop haha
Old 03-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cats are not real bright.

Leave one hatch closed and secured. Set the food on the far side of the trigger plate. That is all; they will walk on the trigger to get to the food. Caged cat.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:39 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: coolbrze0

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Why dairy farm - for small rodent control?
Yes , dairy farms tend to have lots of rodents , and most will take donated cats .

Quick Reply: Feral cat trap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.