Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Feral cat trap

Old 03-23-2006, 01:22 PM

Default RE: Feral cat trap

ooooooo I take donations of cats..... ... for target practice!!! KaBoom!!! bye Mr. Kitty..
Old 03-23-2006, 01:45 PM

I use Safe Guard traps, 11x12x30 or 11x12x36. Both are great traps for cats, raccoon, and groundhog.

I use canned jack mackerel for bait. Why? Because it is cheap and I buy it by the case for control projects.

Before you set the traps I would line up your farms first. Nothing grinds a farmers gears more than a guy with a truck fullof cats to drop off, when he does not want them.

Personally, I prefer to have the local animal shelter euthanize my cats. State Laws prohibit me fromeuthanizing domestics. Releasing them just moves the problem and leads to the spread of disease into areas where it did not exsist. Also let the shelter know that you will be bringing them cats. Lets them get prepared.

If the area has not be trapped before, I set the traps where the cats are, right where they eat and sleep. If the area has been trapped or my traps might walk away, I hide them along trails, in the bushes and camoflauge them well. I also stake all traps so they do not tip. If they will walk, I use Berkshire stakes on 24" SS cable. Never had much need tocover the cage bottoms, but every once in a long while I would get a critter that made me do that.

Set as many traps as you can, gives the remaining cats less time to figure out what is going on. Most I ever set was 18 traps in one area. Picked up 32 cats in 3 days. My truck was malodorous for over a week, even with a trip to the car wash.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:11 PM

i do a catch and release to the holy lands. lol. if any of you guys belong to the predator extreme magazine in this months issue there is a pretty good write up about feral and house cats. where i live there is a law in the town books saying if its untagged and is on you property they are fair game. i take this too heart. this year since jan 1 ive got 9 cats. i do give some to the humane center and pounds but a fair bit of what i catch arent going to be good for anyone so they get the 17 as perscribed above. sry to any pro-cat people but you should get an issue and read the article.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you say pound or pond? I hate the darn things, shoot em on site. DOn't get me wrong, I have a cat, but wild ones will kill everything they can, rabbits, squirrels, birds, etc.