Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

selling hides

Old 01-22-2006, 05:16 PM

Default selling hides

do you have to tan/treat a small game hide to sell it?i only say small game because a big game skin would take alot more work
Old 01-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: selling hides

Do you mean "sell" as in sell to a fur buyer? Some will take the whole animal, others the "green" (untreated) hide. With others, it needs to be dried, scraped, and mounted on a stretcher.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:39 PM

but you dont have to put the acid crap on it and do all the 4 week processes ect.,you just scrape the meet off,put it on the hoop thing, and leave it to drie in your garage or another dry place right?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

No, you don't have to actually tan the hide to sell it. And like I said, you often do not even have to scrape and stretch it. The best thing to do is locate a fur buyer in your area and find out what they require.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:50 AM

ok thanks cause i have no clue how to treat a hide.i would like to learn but its not easy.if i get a coyote hide,ill figure it out though.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:36 AM

The hides can generally be sold carcass or green, but I have found the buyer will sometimes pay a little more for skun, and even more for stretched. With rats it takes about5 minutes to skin, flesh and stretch, so depended on your buyer and your catch, it would probably be worth your time. Beaver are a little harder... but once you get the hang of it you can skin it in a very short time--10 minutes or less, but fleshing a prime one can take a while even if you "clean skin" it. In my opinion, with coonsyou are just better off selling carcass.