Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

trapping coyotes

Old 12-18-2005, 07:51 PM
t3

Default trapping coyotes

i need all the info i can get on trapping coyotes. ive tried hunting them with a call but i would really like to trap them so any info would be appreciated
Old 12-19-2005, 08:21 AM

Default RE: trapping coyotes

Visit www.trapperman.com it is the best website for trapping!
Old 12-19-2005, 03:54 PM
t3

can anyone tell me how to set up a dirt hole set
Old 12-21-2005, 09:02 AM

I can tell you the basics, but there are LOTS of variations. Different people have different opinions on the depth, angle,and diameterof the hole. Here is what worked for me on foxes, bobcats, and coons. First, find a spot along a trail or near sign. You must place the set where you find sign! A common miconception is that you can draw a canine to your set from a long distance, but it rarely happens. Next, use a clean digging tool to dig a hole at about a 45 degree angle.Make the hole about three inches in diameter and to a depth of about 4-5 inches. Now you have a pile of dirt you dug up. Use that to bed your trap. I bedded my traps with the pan of the trap an inch or two to one side of thehole (usually theleft side). Make sure you set the trap level and that it does not move at all. Lightly push on two spots on each side of the trap jaws. If it moves it is not level.

After leveling the trap you stake the trap and hide the chain. Place a pan cover on the trap to keep the dirt from getting under the pan. I used crumpled pieces of clean wax paper. Cut a piece a bit bigger than the jaws of the trap. Place it on the trap and lift up the side of the trap opposite the dogand tuck the paper under the jaw. Leave the paper laying on the on top of the dog. I always tore a straight cut in the paper where the dog would fit, so it would not catch on the paper when sprung.

Now, you have the trap leveled and the pan cover is in place. Next use DRY peat moss to cover the trap. Cover the trap with about 1/2" of peat. I took peat moss from the store and sifted it in a sifter. Thisseperates all of the large debris from the finer particles. I then placed it on a clean paper plate and putit in the microwave for about 2 minutes. This will evaporate the water out of the peat moss so it won't freeze. If you are trapping in an area that doesn't freeze skip the microwave part, but make sure you sift it.

Finally, I leveled out the peat moss so it looked more natural, and placed a guide stone or stick to guide the animals foot into the trap pan. It is just a small stone or stick placed so that the animal will lift it's leg over the guide and hopefully into the center of the pan for a good solid catch. place a piece of your favorite bait or lure in the bottom of the hole and your finished!

Now you are probably more confused than ever! So, buy a few books about trapping that are illustrated and read, read, read! And, don't forget to check the website for trap preparation. There is lots of things you must do to prepare the traps BEFORE you use them. Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Something I have done and been successful is snaring along fencelines. Find spots where the coyotes go underneath the fence and set a snare there. Then all you have to do is wait
Old 01-06-2006, 06:52 AM
t3

Thanks for all the info guys, anymore would be appreciated
Old 01-09-2006, 07:20 PM

http://www.traps4kids.com/modifications.html This is a kids site, but I have learned a lot about trapping from it. It has traps sets, trap modifications, and many other helpful things.It will take you to the modifications part of the site, but you can look around for the other stuff afteryoucheck that out. Hope it helps.