Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

ANYONE DOING ANY GOOD ON THE TRAPLINE YET?

Old 12-14-2005, 08:56 PM

Default ANYONE DOING ANY GOOD ON THE TRAPLINE YET?

Just seeing how the rest of the world is doing.

Ive done pretty good so far. Recent cold has froze up a lot of my rat sets and stopped the coon movement though.

Other than that, Ive been tearin up the fox and coyotes. Ive even done some good on mink. I go a good bit of coon and rats before the freeze, But I still hope that we get a thaw before the season ends.

Beaver season comes in the day after christmas...cant wait!

Post some pics if you got any. Im gonna wait until i get my fur shed full and then get a good pic of all of it!

Old 12-15-2005, 12:23 PM

Default RE: ANYONE DOING ANY GOOD ON THE TRAPLINE YET?

What state R U trapping in -

I still have 200 + traps and would love to get a line going but for the last couple of years I have been so bussy with family and work that its really all I can do to gte in the hunting I want to do in a year not to mention trappingn and fishing -

What is your primary focus on when running a line - I used to do allot of water and hit the fox whenever and opportunity came up - I here that the money is all in the water this year - But that is in WNY -

Old 12-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

As soon as this storm front moves thru I am going to bet putting out around 200 snares, focusing on coyotes mainly.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: jhoffman

What state R U trapping in -

I still have 200 + traps and would love to get a line going but for the last couple of years I have been so bussy with family and work that its really all I can do to gte in the hunting I want to do in a year not to mention trappingn and fishing -

What is your primary focus on when running a line - I used to do allot of water and hit the fox whenever and opportunity came up - I here that the money is all in the water this year - But that is in WNY -
Im in Ohio and right now, Im focusing more on mink in the creeks and ditches and fox and coyotes on land than anything. As soon as the swamps and ponds thaw out though, Ill be after rats. Beaver comes in that day after christmas too.

By the way, if you would like to get rid of some of those 200+ traps, Im always looking to buy.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:17 PM

I've done real well this year trappin with my uncle. Between the 2 of us so far we got 115 coon 185 muskrats 35 mink 7 coyotes 3 fox 9 beavers pry 20 skunks and pry 80 possums and 13 cats
Old 12-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

What are you guys getting ($$) for mink? I miss trapping - used to trap quite a bit - mink were my favorite.

FH
Old 12-16-2005, 07:17 AM

I always had pretty good luck with mink in the water - once I got them figured out - they used to rob my sets when I first started trapping because I just left too much room for them to get around the trap and they're pretty smart animals - I did once catch an 18" brown trout in a mink set - 110 coniber - the creek flooded and the set ended up in about 3 1/2' of water once I got the trap back I found the surprise.

What is your favorite set for fox and coyotes?

I usually make a modified dirt hole set and I take the tail off a red squirle or gray squirle and stick it in the dirt so that it twitches in the wind and I seem to have pretty good luck with that one.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

What are you guys getting ($$) for mink? I miss trapping - used to trap quite a bit - mink were my favorite.

FH
A good prime buck will bring around $15 here.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: jhoffman

What is your favorite set for fox and coyotes?

I usually make a modified dirt hole set and I take the tail off a red squirle or gray squirle and stick it in the dirt so that it twitches in the wind and I seem to have pretty good luck with that one.
I love the dirt hole sets myself, but ive been doing really good on flat sets latley. Ill have to try the squirrel tail thing, never done it before.

I caught a 30 lb boar coon on a blind culvert set this morning, as well as a double coyote catch on a modified flat set.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wanted to get into trapping but i'm never in ky long enough to have any kind of a good line going.

Quick Reply: ANYONE DOING ANY GOOD ON THE TRAPLINE YET?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.