Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First-time squirrel hunters

Old 08-21-2005, 01:49 PM

Default RE: First-time squirrel hunters

I would change the choke to a regular full. If you use the Xtra full it will blow-em up pretty bad at close range. Early in the season, say Sept., focus on hickory trees, if there are any squirrels around they will be there. Too bad you will be hunting later you'll miss the hickory fest, but they should be cutting acorns by then. Good luck!! Wish my wife were intersted in hunting.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:32 PM

Ok....we'll definitely try a different choke. It's set up for turkey hunting, so maybe that's why it has the Xtra full choke?

We went over to the fish/game club today and shot the 20 gauge, both 30/30's, and an old Montgomery Ward Westernfield .22 LR that my dad gave to me years ago.

The shotgun is dead on at 50 yds, and the 30/30's were pretty good, too. The .22 is way off, though. We need to sight that in yet, but ran out of daylight.

Thanks for the info on the squirrel calls, too.
Yeah.... my wife is a rare breed. Shereally can't wait to gohunting, although this will be the first year she's ever went (legally). She LOVED shooting today. And she's a pretty darned good shot, too. She wants to try the trap, skeet and clay shooting activities that they have going on over there, too. I've never tried it either, but wouldn't mind going over.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

sounds like you and your wife had a full daylike all have said... good luck and keep us posted.......and if you need anything else.......give a shout
Old 08-21-2005, 07:24 PM

I dont know if its been mentioned but something i'd like to add is that when i hunt squirrels with another person we usuallywalk kinda spaced out. So that maybe the first person is 30 yrds infront of the second. this way when the first person walks past a tree the bushytail will try to avoid him and move to the opposite side of the tree. this gives the second person a clear shot. i can tell ya from experience this method works great.

also (i've never tried this but call me crazy i'd kinda like to), i just came up with this . when u see a squirrel on the ground eating nuts and u try to stalk up to u and it runs away or it wont come to a call...just run at it (with the gun on saftey). this way the squirrel will run up a tree and u can shoot it. i've never tried this cuz it just popped into my mind but it should work

good luck!
Old 08-22-2005, 09:11 AM

Thanks for all the info! I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:51 PM

Scott, I use a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 with the camo pattern for squirrels. I love the Mossbergs, but I would take a 20 gauge Mossberg over a 12 gauge Mossberg for squirrel hunting any day.When I go squirrel hunting, I stalk them. The trick to stalking them is to walk really really quiet.That way you can hear them run up thetree and get a shot off.When you walk look in the trees.You will see the squirrels jumping branch to branch. You will be able to see the branch shaking like the devil. You can also sit and wait for the squirrels to bark. Once they start barking, sneak up on them.I am almost as excited as you are about your hunting trip! Keep us posted.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:22 PM

I will definitely keep everyone posted! Thanks for all the info that everyone has given us!

Yes....we're REALLY excited about it, too. I wish we had last year's tags to hunt with. That way, we could hunt in September. We'll have to wait until Oct 1st now....but that's ok. That'll give my wife more opportunities to get used to the 20 gauge.

We've got to do some scouting around in the meantime. Maybe we can find some good spots to hunt. Any suggestions as to what to look for?
Old 08-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

scott why dont you go out and get this years licence? if you plan on hunting deer and turkey you could buy a sportsman licence today and be in the woods by this coming weekend
Old 08-28-2005, 05:00 AM

I suppose we could......although it'd be $38 to use the license for only 4 weeks. I might talk to my wife about it.

Which is the better month for squirrel hunting? Sept or Oct?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm taking my kids this fall for the first time this fall, and I haven't gone but once myself before. Good luck, and let us know how you do!Isaw the squirrel skinning video,and got game shears to cut off the legs,etc. A buddy of mine at work says YoshidaGourmet sauce(you can get some at Sam's Club) makes 'em taste great. BTW,1965 is when I was born....

Quick Reply: First-time squirrel hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.