Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help Me Please!

Old 07-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help Me Please!

DiegoD, air shooters in my parts seem to prefer the .177. I don't know how big the crows get in your area (got recipes?) and I really can't say at what point you will take on critters too big to kill. However, I often hear that the 177 out penetrates the 22's. Great thing about air shooting is that there are far fewer legal restrictions, and it is one heck of a way to get acquainted with marksmanship and learning trajectories. I'd be tempted to get one myself, but I have a 22 that shoots subsonics so well that I don't see the need to part with the cash. But I would like to hear how things work out for you!
Old 07-23-2005, 10:44 AM

Feel better ?
Old 07-23-2005, 10:14 PM

ajg2425 - I didn't mean to upset you - I've said it once before and I'll say it again - I'm sorry . When Lewis and Clark headed out west into an undiscovered, wild land , they had more than one air rifle . Air guns have taken evrything from mice to elk . A punematic gun can have alot of energy , but still requires marksmanship . The technology has come a long way since the "bb" guns of yesteryear . I encourage everyone to get a quality air gun . At very least - they make greatfarm rifles . You can order air guns right now in the 9mm , .45 or even greater than .50 cal , it depends on what you want to pay . These tend to be more expensive than a firearm aswell.Much more .There are also air shot guns . This can be a great activity for adults or children . Powerfull enough to take down varmints , but not instuctors .
Old 08-04-2005, 04:58 PM

In response to Dogslayer's last post:

I think your right, airguns have come a long ways in the recent years to the point where their making them in .50 cal. In fact a read a story about a man who shot a full grown elk with a .50 cal. airgun (of course he was about 25 yds. from the animal). So i definatly encourage people to buy at least some type of airgun. If for nothing else than just target shooting.

But about the whole hunting thing and calliber and all that.. i have a daisy .177 pellet gun that shoots something like 640 fps and i have shot everything from birds, red squirrels, chipmunks, and moles with that gun. And i've found that head shots definatly do work, although i have shot squirrels in the heart/lung area and have not need a second shot. The most ideal shot in my opinion however is right throught the ear because the pellet has to travel through little bone and go almost directly to the brain ensuring an almost instant kill, IMO.

I haven't looked at any of the other suggested guns listed so far but i have found this gun... http://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-quest-1000.html
Its a .177 pellet rifle that shoots 1000 fps. And its only $99. For what your hunting this should do the job without question...im not sure if you can mount a scope on it though...

good luck and have fun
Old 08-08-2005, 01:15 AM

Go with the 22