Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

moutain lion and cougar

Old 07-11-2005, 10:29 PM

Default RE: moutain lion and cougar

I've seen a cougar here in southwestern Ohio. It was about 8 years ago or so. One of the neighbors found a scull in his back field the following spring. He took it to the park rangers office and they said it was a cougar scull and they had several reports of a cougar in the area. They said it was most likely just someone's pet that got loose.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:28 AM

The illusive Mountain Lion has been hot topic among hunters in Virginia for a long time mostly between older guys and youger ones. Such as me and my Dad he swears they are here and I don't actually I don't know of anyone that has seen more of them than my Dad?????? What partially brings question to my mind is Here in Va. it is tradition and a way of life to run deer with hounds and not one time have I heard of the dogs pushing a lion but Foxes and Bobcats...yes. 10 years ago we never heard of a Coyote around here but we are shooting them annually now (So there is some spreading and I guess lions could also)but one of the biggest question marks is that in our hunting regulations it states that "You can not harase molest, shoot or attempt to shoot a mountain lion" ? I still need to seeone to beleive it but I think it is possible anywhere.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

"10 years ago we never heard of a Coyote around here but we are shooting them annually now " Odds are that the lions are expanding thier range. How far, or how quickly, is open to debate. I believe someone on another forum indicating they were opening a season on lions in Nebraska this year. Evidence is not always as abundant as one would think. The most I've seen of a lion out here in western Wyoming are tracks. We have plenty of the cats around, but I've never met anyone that has come across a carcass or skeletal remains. Given how many hunters there are out there in the fall, as well as a healthy population of lions, that is amazing. Probably a few escaped or released pets throughout the midwest and east, and probably a few pockets of wild animals as well.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've talked to hunters in Wyoming who have seen lions out there.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:17 PM

Default moutain lion and cougar

I would like to think every one on there coments about the mountain lion
Old 07-14-2005, 01:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Hear female panthers hissing and purring
Purring
Hissing
Hear a female in captivity caterwauling in these Real Audio clips
Sound 1
Sound 2
Sound 3
Sound 4

Old 07-18-2005, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Coastie. I was once told by at Wildlife Biologist that there were no Mt. Lions in TX, east of Junction, TX., and never had been. This was not only inaccurate but foolish. Mt. Lions are not as numerous east of Junction TX but they are definately there. The have been killed in Brownwood, Beeville, Refugio, Kerrville etc.
Most Biologist I know are long on class/book time and short on field experience. The exception to this is Bob Ramsey of Kerrville, TX. The greatest Biologist/hunter ever. If Bob tells you that Big Foot and Elvis will appear from a UFO on his ranch you'd better get your camera.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:17 AM

They are all over the place out here in California. The area I normally hunt just had a Mountain lion warning. The cat came all the way down onto the Cal State campus. Now I carry a nicebig forged stainless machette with walnut grips when I'm up in the canyon (comes in handy for the heavy foliage too). They say just to look big, shout, and wave your arms arounda lot, and maybe throw a few rocks at it,and the lion will usually run off. If not, whatever you doDON'T RUN! You can't outrun the lion, and bolting will only trigger its predatory instincts. Instead back away slowly without making any sudden movements.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack
"The scientific community has developed a reputation over the past 20-30 years for being inaccurate, deceitful and down right dishonest when things come up that they have no easy answers for."

Well if your going to fire off a rediculous statement like that I suggest being prepared to back it up with verifiable facts and case studies where you can objectively prove your statement. Funny how those "scientific" things like logic, objectiveness, and fact keep popping up. Hrrm could this be how logical people seek out truth? Gee, I guess it's possible...
Happens all the time to further their agenda, what ever that may be. Example http://www.cdfe.org/lynx_hoax_no_secret.htm
Old 07-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

"I've talked to hunters in Wyoming who have seen lions out there."

Yeah, actually quite a few people see them (the local sporting goods store owner saw one about 2 miles east of town here yesetrday), but I am amazed that I've never met anyone who had come across a carcass or skeletol remains.

Quick Reply: moutain lion and cougar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.