Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

nikon prostaff

Old 02-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

He didn't test the durability too much. However, there are many people that have been using these for quite a while. The other scopes don't seem to have issues holding up. So since they both hold up why would you choose one where the clarity is clearly not there in the Prostaff compared to others? Nor is it near as good in low light situations. I'm not saying the Prostaff is bad and wont hold up. There are just a lot better options that hold up fine too and are quite a bit clearer. So why not get one of those? That's what I'm getting at. Not saying the Prostaff's don't hold up. I personally like clear scopes and if I know both options will hold up I'm going to go with the one that is a lot clearer for not much more money.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you wanna take tire kickers opinions thats fine. However if you want opinions of real world Pro Staff users I will offer mine. I have been using them almost exclusively for the last 10 years of gun hunting and after nearly 100 dead deer in all different kinds of light, distance, weather conditions and a great deal of abuse I can tell you I have had ZERO issues... yes ZERO!! For the record I also have Leupolds, Burris (without a doubt the lousiest customer service I have ever encountered), Bushnell, Redfields, Tascos, Simmons and several other Nikons.

They are an awesome scope for the money. Very clear very durable and one helluva good value. Some people race magazine reviews and some people race em themselves and draw their own conclusions. Try one out for yourself an draw your own conclusions.. you never know what the agendas are of some of the so-called experts. Be wary also of people that have NEVER used them and go strictly off heresy and "expert" internet or magazine and then argue the real world users of the product.

Last edited by Doe Dumper; 02-21-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

This 'real world' Pro Staff user has beat and banged his pro staff against trees and the ground, dirt, rain, sleet, mud, tree bark and dust from trees and all the other little nitty gritties....Hasn't faltered yet. Might die in September when I shoot it again, but not as of yet.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

No one is saying the Prostaff's aren't durable. I haven't read that any. I will also point out that I haven't seen many complaints about Burris not being durable either. So I'd go with the one that offers better clarity, better in low light, and better features like better adjustments that you can turn with your fingers out in the field instead of having to have a screw driver or coin. If you look into that Burris is the clear winner for not much more. Both are durable so I doubt you'd have a problem with that with either one. If I really wanted a Nikon I'd step up and get the Nikon Team Primo's.

The posts on here from Prostaff users seem to be saying theirs is durable and great because it holds up. How many of you have actually owned other scopes like a Burris or Vortex and can honestly say the Prostaff is clearer? Nothing I've ever read or seen has indicated that the Prostaff is clearer or better in low light than a Fullfield II.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:08 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

i put a 2x7 prostaff on my triumph and i'm very happy with it
Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got one question for you hometheaterman. How many Nikon scopes.. Pro Staff or others have you owned or do you currently own? Ive got Vx-iii's, fullfield 2's, vx 1's..etc... Have you ever even used one? LoL As far as clarity.. the Burris is close on clarity....but durability and customer service make it a cabinet queen for me.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doe Dumper
I got one question for you hometheaterman. How many Nikon scopes.. Pro Staff or others have you owned or do you currently own? Ive got Vx-iii's, fullfield 2's, vx 1's..etc... Have you ever even used one? LoL As far as clarity.. the Burris is close on clarity....but durability and customer service make it a cabinet queen for me.
I don't own any Nikons but I do have friend that use them so it's not like I've never looked through one. I personally have Leupold VX-I's and Fullfield II's so can personally compare those two from using them. Nikon makes great scopes but I don't and wont own a Prostaff. If I'm set on Nikon I'd go ahead and just get the Team Primo's one that's a lot better scope. Any reviews out there you guys know of that actually like the Prostaff over the others mentioned? I haven't seen any but not saying they aren't there.

As for the VX-I compared to the Fullfield II. It's like night and day difference. Leupold's customer service is the only thing they have going for them with that scope. However, when you have to keep sending them in shipping adds up. I've never had an issue with my Burris so I can't comment on how their customer service is but I hear it's not the best.

In all honesty I don't want to have to use the customer service. This is the 3rd time right now that I'm having to use Leupolds customer service for VX-I's and I've only owned 2 of them. I wont buy another unless I get a super deal like I did on this last one.

The Leupolds don't seem to hold up. Nor are they any clearer as far as I can tell than the $30 Tasco's you can get at Walmart. However, the Burris is a lot clearer and seems to hold up great.

Now that doesn't pertain to the Prostaff. I was just commenting on those since you asked if I owned either.

Honestly, if you can't spend any extra the Prostaff is probably fine. However, I like clear scopes as well as ones that work so I'd spend the little bit extra for a Burris, Vortex, or Nikon Team Primo's all of which are better than a Prostaff. The Prostaff is the bottom of the line Nikon. It's not bad there just are ones that are a lot better.

If I bought a rifle with a Prostaff I certainly wouldn't throw it away. I just don't get why you guys think it's so great when you can buy one a lot better for not much more?

Last edited by hometheaterman; 02-23-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Never used a Burris. Can't comment on that. When I bought the Pro Staff, I was prepared to buy a Loupy.....walked outsite with a Sightron *spell check*, Leupold, and couple of Nikons...Seeing that they all have great warrenties and customer service providing something went wrong internally, I went with the clearest option.....minus the obvious winner Swarovski....needed to collect a few more cans for that one ....Next scope for next rifle will probably be a Buckmaster Series or Monarch Series......HOWEVER.........those 56mm objective Leupolds are oh so tempting....but would probably turn me into a 10-15min after shooting light poacher lol.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
That said, buy and use whatever you like...that's what I do.
A healthy philosophy and excellent advice.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I don't own any Nikons but I do have friend that use them so it's not like I've never looked through one.

Thats exactly what I thought... just another magazine reading tire kicker with no real experience of what he is bashing

Honestly, if you can't spend any extra the Prostaff is probably fine. However, I like clear scopes as well as ones that work so I'd spend the little bit extra for a Burris, Vortex, or Nikon Team Primo's all of which are better than a Prostaff. The Prostaff is the bottom of the line Nikon. It's not bad there just are ones that are a lot better.

Money is not an object for something that can effect the entire hunt. However there is a point that you get diminishing returns. The clearness issue you keep bringing up is strictly your opinion even though you have zero experience int he field with it.

If I bought a rifle with a Prostaff I certainly wouldn't throw it away. I just don't get why you guys think it's so great when you can buy one a lot better for not much more?

Again.. thats your unverifiable, inexperienced opinion.

Now Im sure if I ask for people's opinions on something Im gonna want real users opinions. Not people who have to ask how to even mount a scope and have never even used the item in question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.