Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Spring/summer season beach fishing ⛱️

Old 04-27-2024, 05:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Who you going with and when Phil. Getting a halibut is pretty difficult. The only ones I ever saw were on the over nighters that went to the far out reefs in the gulf of Maine. My personal favorites are Pollock. They are big, no limit and the meat is exceptional IMO just as good as cod or haddock.
I am going out with Relentless Pursuit out of Wells for a 9 to 12 hour trip. Supposed to be out from 20 to 30 miles off shore. Our main target is for haddock, but pollock will work as well. The haddock has a 20 fish per person limit as you said the pollock has no limit. Once in a while they will pick up a halibut even though they are not targeted. They catch up here off our coast fishing for haddock and Jake as well. We can’t keep any cod right now but bound to catch a few of them as well..
Old 04-28-2024, 02:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I am going out with Relentless Pursuit out of Wells for a 9 to 12 hour trip. Supposed to be out from 20 to 30 miles off shore. Our main target is for haddock, but pollock will work as well. The haddock has a 20 fish per person limit as you said the pollock has no limit. Once in a while they will pick up a halibut even though they are not targeted. They catch up here off our coast fishing for haddock and Jake as well. We can’t keep any cod right now but bound to catch a few of them as well..
I've been many times out to Jefferies Ledge for all the ground fish you mentioned. Relentless Persuit sounds like a good outfit. I hope you get calm seas and lots of fish. The Haddock are running decent right now. Normally I go out of the Hampton Beach area but they all go to the same place out to the Ledge. The Bunny Clark goes out of Ogunquit and is a party boat that does well for much less money but it can be crowded. The best 6 pack boat I have been out on is Eastmans Annie B with Captain Nate. It is hard to get a booking with him though. He sells out way in advance. My old favorite was Captain Bill's Charters out of Rye, NH but he sold his boat. I used to go several times each season with him. His 43 foot boat could take 12 and it was very affordable at $120 per person. The big pollock run in the fall. I went on a 3 day trip out of Glouster and brought home 200 pounds of fillets. Double 10 to 20 pound pollock really tire you out. Have fun and catch a bunch.

Old 04-28-2024, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you CI.. We are hoping for good weather. It’s a charter that will take up to 6 people. Only 4 of us are going out on it. Yes it’s costly and he books up quick as well. I think most of them do for striper and tuna fishing. He actually wanted me to book a week later but couldn’t do that. I am taking my son in law with me who is in the national guard here and has to be with them the first weekend of each month. He is a fully licensed mechanic and does work for me and the Mrs. A lot of it on his time off for free as long as we supply the parts. So I don’t mind taking him on a fishing trip that’s for sure. I offer to pay him but he won’t take anything from us. I think that we will have a great time hauling in some fish. Most of the other boats I have checked out goes out for 8 hours and this one does the 9 to 12 hours. Maybe because of a longer ride to get out there? I don’t know but it’s a little cheaper in price than some other ones that I have checked out..
Old 04-28-2024, 06:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Big difference between a 12 hour and an 8 hour trip. Most boats I have gone out on take 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get to the Ledge. 2 hours out and 2 hours back takes a big slice out of the day. The best fishing can be had on 2 day trips that leave in the evening on day 1 and sail all night to places like Cashes Ledge or Fippennies Ledge which are beyond where the day boats can reach. Most of the halibut I have seen caught come from those spots. It is hard to book a trip like that. Most of the charter boats don't go that far out. If the charter has you fishing bait then you will be catching reds, haddock, cod, hake and pollock. I like to fish for those and bigger fish using a jig with one or 2 teasers. Sometimes the bait works better and other times jigs are the ticket. When I get out on a 6 pack boat there is more room and tangles are minimal so I normally jig. When on a crowded party boat bait is best due to less room and more tangles.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-28-2024 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes but still it should be great fishing and even if it’s just the 9 hour trip we should still have almost an extra hour of fishing. The guy that I talked to sounded pretty decent on the phone when I booked the trip anyway. So our main goal is for the haddock and anything else would be a bonus except for the cod which is closed right now. As long as we catch a few and enjoy the trip that’s the main thing. Something different to experience for us. I just wished that there was this type of charters up this way. The only one I am aware of catches mostly mackerel which I am not interested in..
Old 04-28-2024, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

You will have a good time. Probably see some whales too.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

He did says we could see some whales and possibly hook into a shark or two. But, I am hoping that the weather will cooperate for us..
Old 04-28-2024, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

The blue sharks are fun but the spiney dogfish are a nuisance. When they are around the haddock usually get beat to the bait. Most boats move if they get into the dogs. They do put up a good fight though but are very aggressive. In the fall you are apt to get bothered by blue sharks. One boat I went out on rigged up a heavy rod and put a fish head on a huge hook after getting a half fish up. We caught a 10 foot blue. It was quite a fight.
Old 04-28-2024, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Catching a blue shark sounds like fun. But I would just a soon that they just keep on a swimming by. I am just hoping we will catch some nice fish and enjoy the trip. I am not very sure about those dog fish but hopefully none of them. He did say that could catch a saltwater cusk or two as well..
Old 05-05-2024, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Catching a blue shark sounds like fun. But I would just a soon that they just keep on a swimming by. I am just hoping we will catch some nice fish and enjoy the trip. I am not very sure about those dog fish but hopefully none of them. He did say that could catch a saltwater cusk or two as well..
when are you going Phil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.