Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Clean Bore

Old 05-05-2005, 09:23 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Clean Bore

I would say your right solitary. Maybe its only a visual thing. In other words, you see a new dan lilja and see a mirror finish and then run a bronze thru it, and see the scratch marks, you start saying that looks horrible. But maybe as soon as the first shot is fired, those marks are gone.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:32 AM

Solitary - I went through the same little 12 step process a few years back. Sometimes I wish I had never heard of a Hawkeye bore scope - keeps me up at night thinking about things that are probably about as relevant as whether Bill Clinton wears boxers or briefs.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

bc, it's hard for me to imagine bronze scratching the steel of a quality rifle barrel. Bronze is considerably softer. I wonder if what you're seeing is traces of bronze scrubbed off onto the steel, sort of like what happens when a pencil lead is dragged across a piece of paper. I honestly don't know though and don't mind admitting it. All I know is what I've experienced over the years.

Roskoe, my 12 step program was actually a 2 step program, my 2 kids that is. I just got to a point, rather recently I might add, where I realized what my priorities should be and guns don't figure in as highly as they used to.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:33 PM
bigcountry

No, its the steel being scratched. Just saw this, this weekend on a Dan Lilja barrel. Saw before and after. You can have 59Rockwell ATS-34 steel and a bronze brush will scrath it if rubbed hard enough