Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

getting started

Old 05-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default getting started

im beginning to save all the spent shells that my family shoots up to hopefully start reloading. what would be an average amount to get started with all the equipment?
Old 05-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: getting started

amount of money that is
Old 05-01-2005, 05:22 PM

I think you could get an economical package setup for around $200. Won't do shotguns - but rifle and pistol. Also, you will need a set of dies for each caliber, which run around $25 for standard rifle calibers. With pistols, the carbide dies are the only way to go - despite their higher cost. Find a friend who has done this for awhile - see if you can get him/her to show you how to do it. There are videos, but hands on instruction seems to work best. Good luck. Roskoe.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whitecloud the main thing is dont be afraid to ask ?'s...no matter how dumb ya think they may be. This is a heckuva place to learn the right way..many many years of experience on this board. I am just getting started as well...I have saved brass for the last 10 years though. Another thing to remember is if ya wanna buy something only once ya may have to pay a little extra but in the end you'll save.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

I know this will make the Lee people mad but the Rock Chucker deluxe reloading kit is about the most complete I have ever seen. Literally just add dies. Mine was had for around $250 not sure what they go for nowadays.

I got it for Christmas four years ago and it is alot fo fun. One thing I would do right off the bat if I bought one is buy some spray lube for the rifle cases instead of using the roller lube tray besides that everything is there.

The only thing I think you really need that isn't included is a tumbler to clean the brass after it is sized trimmed and ready to go. Cleaning by hand is a pain in the butt!!
Old 05-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tie your brass up in a sock or a mesh bag oif some kind and run em in the dryer with a load of clothes. Crude but effective!
Old 05-02-2005, 10:04 PM

I agree the RCBS Rockchucker deluxe kit is the way to go, I think it still goes for $250 at cabelas. Just add the dies to get started then down the road get a trimmer and tumbler.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

can you guys explain to me what some of these things are(tumbler, trimmer, dies, etc.)?

thanks for all your help
Old 05-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitecloudhunter

can you guys explain to me what some of these things are(tumbler, trimmer, dies, etc.)?

thanks for all your help
Tumbler= is basically a pot that vibrates, inside you put your tarnished brass and media (crushed up corn cob, walnut shells etc) and let it polish the brass for about 2-3 hours

Trimmer is actually a case trimmer, it is a mini lathe that has a chuck on one end, and a 4 fluted cutter on the other, you chuck up your casing that has expanded in length due to firing, and "trim" it back to original length. (Its strictly a safety step, but very much needed)

Dies are a tool that is screwed into the top of your press. You have 2 different dies a resizing die that is used to resize the case which has expanded in the firing process back to the original size. And your seating die which is used to seat the bullet into your brass once it has returned to original size.

these are very basic definitions and many different varieties of these exist depending on ones preference and wallet. For example, you can buy a trimmer that is actuated with a small motor instead of cranking it by hand, you can use electronic scales or beam scales, it all depends on your wallet and how deep you want to get into this adicting habit. I would say to start out get the kit from RCBS that has the Rock crusher in it. I love mine, the only thing I bought extra was a tumbler, and an extra shell tray, it only comes with one, and I find at least 2 are needed. I would recommend to get a good set of verneers (calipers) that measures down to .001. And last a few manuals especially one from the manufacturer of the bullets you intend to shoot.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Supermagnum my kit came with the trimmer. Like I said before everything but the tumbler which you don't need if you don't mind elbow grease.

Quick Reply: getting started

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.