Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

getting started

Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 PM

Default RE: getting started

The tumbler cleans the inside of the cases also, it's a good idea to have one.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks alot everyone you all definetly cleared some things up for me
Old 05-03-2005, 09:19 PM
bigcountry

Youknow I loaded for years with out a tumbler. It sure helps after those years you have the cruddiest pieces of brass you ever seen. Easy to see the cracks in the neck and inspect.

Old 05-14-2005, 01:04 AM
Fork Horn

W'Cloudhunter.
Like some of the other pards have stated, I too started with the RCBS Master Reloading Kit. They have come out with one they call the Supreme Master Reloading Kit. The press handle can be affixed on either side based on whether you are left or right handed.

What I liked about this kit was that it was basically complete. I did add a kinetic bullet puller and a powder trickler - believe I got them from either the Cabela's shooting catalog or maybe it was Midway. The bullet puller looks like a hammer with a clear plastic head. I also bought a set of metal calipers from Midway. Oh, I also had to buy the shell holders for the calibers I reloaded. Shell holders fit on the press and is what you slide the case into before performing the particular step in the process.

What helped me most was going through a practical application with an experienced reloader friend. It brought to life what I'd read in the reloading manual. The RCBS kit comes with a Speer reloading manual. This particular manual is outstanding in terms of its detailed instructions. I prefer it hands down to say, the Nosler manual, which had I been forced to use as a newbie, would have confused me. Find a friend who reloads and bribe him to coach you through a session, but study a manual first so you'll have some questions.

A question I've seen dozens of times on other forums is whether or not to start with a single stage press or jump right into a progressive. A single stage press performs one function at a time, i.e. depriming/resizing, or seating/crimping (if required). The progressive press performs multiple functions simultaneously. It allows you to reload large volumes of ammo in a relatively short timeframe. My recommendation would be to start with the single stage press. This will allow you to learn the process well. I've upgraded to a progressive, and it takes a lot of concentration. I don't have TV running in the background or any other distractions. I did not have a TV running while learning the single stage process either!

I set up my space using a Black and Decker Workmate with a piece of laminate bolted to it. My press is bolted to the laminate. Some shelves on the wall behing the table hold my equipment. I did this because my reloading room triples as a spare bedroom and computer room.

Hope this provides additional perspective. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tie your brass up in a sock or a mesh bag oif some kind and run em in the dryer with a load of clothes. Crude but effective!
Yikes! don't do that unless the brass is already shiny bright and clean and just happens to be wet. Priming compound is made of lead styphnate and there is quite a bit of this crap on fired brass. When you hear of shooters getting lead poisoning, 99% of the time is from primer dust that is ingested, or inhaled. You certainly don't want this stuff all over your clothes that you walk around in all day, wear while you are eating, or especially on your kid's clothes.

Back on subject.

Rockchucker kit is a good, expensive start, but there is certain equipment where savings can be made.

Lee classic cast press is just as good as a Rockchucker, and costs 1/2 as much, a Lee challenger press costs 1/2 as much as a classic cast press and is good enough for casual reloading.

Forget about the RCBS case trimmer- its a waste of time and money. For about $10 you can get a Lee lockstud, cutter, and case length guage and will be completely set to trim one cartridge. If you reload multiple cartridges, the case length guage osta about $4 per cartridge. Just because its cheap doesn't mean its not a better solution!

RCBS powder scale is a must.

RCBS case chamfer/debur tool is a must.

I highly reccommend a RCBS hand priming tool.

A steel dial caliper that reads to .001" is a must.

Lyman reloading manual is a good alternative to the speer book in the RCBS kit.

Case tumbler isn't necessary. I've been working for 10 years without one, I built one myself for about $10, and I still don't use one, maybe I'm just a lazy slob

RCBS case lube + lube pad is a very good setup- its messy but I have't stuck a case in a die yet and probably never will as a result of using it.

If you have patience and price everything out ahead of time, you can get most of your stuff off of Ebay.
I've saved a lot of money buying stuff off ebay myself.

This would probably fall into the bargain category (though the shipping is awfully high)http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...154995872&rd=1

Watch out for stuff that is way overbidded. This item is already bidded 2x the value of a new one and its a pretty crappy press to boot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...154687329&rd=1
Old 05-14-2005, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can actually get started for about 100 bucks, with a lee anniversary kit $59.99 from cabelas plus a die set for another 20 to 30 bucks. Its the cheapest way to get into it, also the kit is very basic probably the easiest for a beginer to get started.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:52 AM

If you intend to load for several cartridges, one of the turret presses eliminates the chore of changing dies for each operation. The Lee turret press will hold up to 4 dies on each turret and you can have one for each cartridge. The turret advances automagically but can be disabled for manual operation. [8D]
Old 05-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I think RCBS is better, but The lee kit should work and you can get in for 67 bucks for the whole shooting match, sans the dies, 25 bucks. But everybody here is right, RCBS is a little better. I am new to it as well. EJ
Old 06-07-2005, 11:16 AM

I have been reloading for just about a year now. I started out with the Lee Anniversary Kit with the manual. You gotta have the manual plust manuals for the types of bullets you plan on reloading. You can find some good deals on some of the manuals on eBay.

The only thing that I changed from the kit was the scales...I prefered the RCBS 5-0-5 scales...I would like to have digital, but they are quite expensive.

Now that I have loaded around 100 rounds of 30-06 and getting ready to load up about 200 rounds of 9mm Lugers, I have decided I want to step up a bit and get a Lee Turret Press.

Yes, people will put down Lee, but there isn't a thing wrong with Lee products. At least I have not had a problem with them what so ever. The scale works great, I just like the RCBS better.

Do the research, if money is an issue, I would say diffenently go with the Lee. Especially if you don't know whether your going to like reloading or not.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:18 AM

Looka round for used equipment - I think it's impossible to wear a Rockchucker out. I think if you buy used you could easily keep it under $150 for everything.