Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Terminal velocity

Old 11-23-2004, 07:18 AM

Default Terminal velocity

Heard a guy on the radio (during the chaos of Arafat's funereal) talking about all the shooting up in the air and where all those bullets go and how dangerous they are. He said that according to the law of conservation of energy the bullet would be traveling the same speed when it hit the ground or whatever that it was traveling at when it left the muzzle. If this was true, a bullet would travel forever in a straight line, as long as nothing got in the way, right? Impossible, right? Say a bullet is fired perfectly straight up. It stops at the "top" and falls back to earth. At what speed will it be traveling when it strikes the ground?
Old 11-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Terminal velocity

Thats a physics question. I can't tell you the answer but I know that the air resistance and gravity are what slows the bullet down. As for the speed on the way down after being shot straight up has to do with the mass of the bullet, the distance trveled (down) and the acceleration of gravity. The bullet would travel in a staight line forever in a vacuum like outer space, but gravity and air resistance are forces acting on it to slow it down.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:36 AM

Yeah, I agree with everything you said except the"mass of the bullet" helping determine the speed of the falling bullet. Doesn't that go back to Newton's Law about dropping a marble and a cannon ball at the same time and they both hit the ground at the same time? Always kinda bothered me that a bullet dropped at the same time as a bullet shot LEVEL will hit at the same time. That's right, isn't it? Even tho they may be a mile apart.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rwilson

Heard a guy on the radio (during the chaos of Arafat's funereal) talking about all the shooting up in the air and where all those bullets go and how dangerous they are. He said that according to the law of conservation of energy the bullet would be traveling the same speed when it hit the ground or whatever that it was traveling at when it left the muzzle. If this was true, a bullet would travel forever in a straight line, as long as nothing got in the way, right? Impossible, right? Say a bullet is fired perfectly straight up. It stops at the "top" and falls back to earth. At what speed will it be traveling when it strikes the ground?
The bullet fired vertically will often return base down, which limits its' terminal velocity even more. IT DOES NOT RETURN WITH ITS' MUZZLE VELOCITY! According to Hatcher's Notebook, (In an entire chapter entitled BULLETS FROM THE SKY) returning bullets come down at unpredictable locations, and their return velocity cannot be accurately chronographed (obviously). However, impact dents made by returning 150-grain .30 caliber bullets which were fired vertically with a MV of 2700 FPS were about 1/16 of an inch in soft pine. These dents indicate that the velocity at impact was in the vicinity of 300 FPS.

While an 150 grain .308" bullet landing on you at 300 FPS could cause some damage and pain, 1/16" of an inch dent in soft pine is not indicative of a dangerous wound - it takes 1" of penetration in soft pine to equal a dangerous wound. BUT, a .50 BMG bullet of 718 grains would fall with close to 500 FPS, carrying around 400 Ft/Lb of energy - no joke!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:51 AM

Now, by golly THAT'S an answer. Is this Hatcher's Notebook available somewhere? Sounds like interesting reading. I've heard a lot of cussin' and discussin' on this topic. Like to be the guy with the answers next time.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:58 PM

Hatcher's should be readiliy available from sources that stock this type of publication. Midway used to have it and certainly Amazon should have it. It's the best treatment of this topic I've stumbled into. It is also a wealth of information on other subjects - some of it is dated but a lot of it is as true today as it was then.

Despite what my kids tell me I don't think physics has changed all that much since my time or even Newton's - as long as you don't approach the speed of light or want to talk about the "speed of time" (see Stephen Hwkings "A Brief History of Time" - he's got Sir Isaac's job today).

With regards to the assertions regarding gravity, feathers, cannon balls etc. - Galileo actually started that line even though Newton shared in some later credits (try here - http://www.astro.utoronto.ca/~philf/...at1/sld017.htm). As I recall Galileo was even older than Newton and I - although once again my kids dispute this.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the absense of of all those trillions of pesky drag producing air molecules (atmosphere), a bullet would indeed land with a velocity identical to that which it was launched. So if you fired that bullet straight up on the moon, you could be in for a very bad (albeit BRIEF) headache in few seconds!

(Un)Fortunately, Earth's atmosphere literally "gets in the way" of the bullet, causing it to slow down dramatically once it leaves the muzzle. The terminal velocity depends on the aerodynamic efficiency (BC) of the bullet based on how it's falling (point v. base down, or tumbling).

Let's just put it this way, if bullets fired into the sky were dangerous when they landed, the Muslims would have wiped themselves out by now.

Mike
Old 11-24-2004, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let's just put it this way, if bullets fired into the sky were dangerous when they landed, the Muslims would have wiped themselves out by now.
Blahahah lol no joke!!!!
Old 11-24-2004, 09:38 AM

So, how high would a 150 gr. .308 boattail go before it stopped and fell back to earth (fired straight up)?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:40 AM

Hey Driftrider: Only air drag? Gravity doesn't slow it down as well?

Quick Reply: Terminal velocity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.