Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Help again guys!!!!!!

Old 10-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help again guys!!!!!!

ok, so I'm sitting at my bench tonite trying to do so prework for reloading my 300 rum. I have a box of Nosler accubonds 180 gr. and a box of Nosler partitons 180 gr. I called Nosler and asked them about reloading info for the accubonds, since it wasnt in their manual. Their tech said "use the info on the partitons they are the same, as long as the weight is the same" so I pull out my new Stoney point comperator, and measure both bullets from the ogive. The partiton measures out at .670-.672. the Accubond measure .762 (two diff bullets) now my question is, how can the load data be the same when the one bullet is obviously longer, would'nt this seat the bullet deeper, thus potentially giving me a compressed load if I use the data from the shorter bullet? I am confused, and a little scared, because of the amount of powder, this cartridge holds. I dont want to blow my brand new gun up. Am I overlooking something, or being to picky? As a side note, I have a box of factory ammo, (rem ultra 180 nosler partitons) so I measured one of those rounds from the ogive, just to see how far they seat their bullets, and man do they have them pushed down in there. If I seat my accubonds from the ogive to the depth that remington seats their partitons, I feel sure I will be compressing this load!! I hope bigcountry can come over to my house this weekend, and clear some of this up, but any thoughts?? I think I am gonna wait and not do anything till I hear somethings from you guys!!

mossy
dazed and confused and ready to give up [:@]
Old 10-25-2004, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help again guys!!!!!!

If you start with the minium load, and work your way while up looking for high pressure signs you will be ok. It will be advantageous to get your hands on a Stoney Point O.A.L. Gauge with Modified case to measure your chamber. You may not be able to reach the rifling due to freebore, and will have to seat your bullet to just fit your magazine. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:37 AM
bigcountry

how can the load data be the same when the one bullet is obviously longer
You got a point. but the good news is the 300RUM has so much freebore, it is a moot issue. Neither bullet I find needs much care in working up a load (as far as overpressure). Only bullets I worry about is TBBC, Failsafes, X, and XLC's. Both your bullets have a decent amount of margin. Just don't get fancy and try 2 or 3 grains over thier limits. Thier max's for 300RUM I find are quite reasonable.

Here is where I start loading for a bullet like the accubond. I load it long as possible to fit in my gun's magizine. I try that until I find something promising, and adjust .02" low and .02 high.

Old 10-26-2004, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

bigcountry, I will try that tonite, (seat a bullet just so it clears my mag, and see what measurement I get), by the way are you free Sun morning?

let me know
mossy
Old 10-26-2004, 12:12 PM
bigcountry

Yep, I am going to try to get down there Sunday. I will bring my runout guage, Neck Sizer, and head and shoulders guage. Be sure to have at least 3 fireformed cases (not sized but fired in your gun). Email me with the directions if you don't care. Coming from Westminster.

Old 10-31-2004, 01:46 PM

I load both Nosler Partitions and Nosler BTs for my 300 RUM. I use 80 grains of IMR 4350 with a Fed 215 Magnum primer. I use a cartridge overall length (OAL) of 3.600" for both bullets. The accuracy for both is less than an inch so I have not played around with the cartridge OAL yet. I probably will in the future. However, I'm retired and therefore don't have much free time from my fishing, hunting, shooting sports and fishing rod building.