Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Sierra Hollow Pt. Gamekings

Old 10-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Sierra Hollow Pt. Gamekings

Has anyone here had expierence shooting the Sierra Hollow Pt Gameking bullets? I am mainly interested in the 7MM and 308 caliber. I used to use the Hornady 190 grain BTHP bullets for steel silhouette shooting and found that they worked well for big game as well. I have been using a lot of the Sierra Pro-Hunter bullets in 6.5,7mm and 308. If you have used these Sierra HP's how did they perform on big game? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sierra Hollow Pt. Gamekings

I had a friend who had to shoot a Mule Deer five times to kill it with Sierra's HP Gamekings with a .30-06 Sprg. The bullet was to fragile. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a friend who had to shoot a Mule Deer five times to kill it with Sierra's HP Gamekings with a .30-06 Sprg. The bullet was to fragile. Good luck.
where did your friend shoot the poor thing? 4 times in the arse? then the 5th in the vitals finally??

for years ive used PMC's sierra 165 gr BTHP gameking load in my 308, every deer ive killed only needed one shot. today I reload using the sierra 165 gr BTHP gameking. Asfar as a deer bullet its excellent, I probably wouldnt use it on elk. but they are great for deer sized game.

I know a few others on this forum will agree.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was reading again today in the Sierra manual. according to them the hp Game king is a tougher bullet that the standard 165 grain Gameking. They claim it is best suited for the 30 caliber Magnums. I have been using the Pro-Hunter bullets in most of my reloading for the last couple years. This year I loaded 150 grain Nosler Partitions and the 150 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter in the 30-06. Last year I had good luck with the 120 Grain Pro-Hunter in the 280' I only load them to about 2850-2900 fps. The Manual says they may be to soft for use at Magnum velocity. I reload as much to down load from top velocity as to try to hop up loads. Many people over drive certain bullet causing them to fail.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

HighDesertWolf:

He hit him in the shoulder three times; then he hit him twice behind the shoulder. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

He hit him in the shoulder three times; then he hit him twice behind the shoulder. Good luck.
Just a little hard to beleive that deer needed 5 shots, to take it down. Also how long did your friend track that deer to sucessfully put 5 shots in it?
Old 10-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a little hard to beleive that deer needed 5 shots, to take it down.
Well you know PETA is experimenting with putting Kevlar vests on deer.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

HighDesertWolf, Frizzellr:

The shots were executed at about 300 yds. at Rowe Mesa. NM (at a place called Valle Grande). My friend complained to a Sierra's tech who said, "The Sierra HP Game King does not preform well on heavy bone". The lesson to this story is do not hit substantal bone with Sierra's HP Game Kings. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well you know PETA is experimenting with putting Kevlar vests on deer.
LOL
Old 10-16-2004, 07:45 AM

I don't buy it at all. I think you just don't like Sierra GK's and that is just fine. However at 300 yards according to a ballistics calculator, the bullet was still going in excess of 2200 FPS and had 1877 foot/lbs of energy, more than plenty to open up the GK and more than plenty to break the bone. If your friend shot the mule deer 3 times in the sholder, the MD was not going anywhere. If the deer was not recovered, something here smells like a gut shot.

According to my Sierra contact, the bullet was designed to break bone with "rapid expansion". I have no clue here as to what transpired, but usually most of the "mechanical" problems can be traced to "operator error". Humans are the wink link in the system, not the components.

Quick Reply: Sierra Hollow Pt. Gamekings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.