Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Sierra Hollow Pt. Gamekings

Old 10-16-2004, 10:25 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Sierra Hollow Pt. Gamekings

I have been using the spiril points Gamekings for years in my 308. I have picked up the hollows a few times and put them back down. Hard for me to believe that it takes 4 times to take down an animal. I think the guy just had bad luck. I am going to stick with the proven bullets. I have 150gr prohunters loaded, but I have seen them not expand much, and completely exit all deer with very little internal damage compared to gamkings shot at distances less than 100 yards.. I plan to use them on mule deer.

Old 10-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never loaded any Gamekings. I load the pro-hunters in my 280 and this yaes I loaded them for the 06 and 6.5x55. I have always loaded a lot of Hornady bullets. Never had a problem with them. I just like to try new stuff. I have 150 Partitions loaded for the 308. Thanks for the remarks.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:58 AM
bigcountry

I might try your partition load. I always planned on the prohunters going mule, but I would rather have a partition. Let us know if you see any differece in perfromance.

Old 10-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Will do. I have every confidence in the Partition. On paper anyway the Partition is the only honest answer to the problem of producing a bullet that performs at velocities produced by the 308 Winchester and still works when fired at close range in a 300 Win Mag. The range of caliber used by hunters today puts a lot of demand on a bullet. NO longer will a bullet in 30 caliber fired at 2400 fps and work, do the job throughout the range of rifles used today. Of all the ways to overcome the problem, I think John Nosler had and still has the best answer. There are some good bullets out there but when it comes to the guns with marginal velocity on either end of the scale, The Partition is King. IMO. There is always a box of Partitions for each of my rifles on the self of my cluttered up reloading bench.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:13 AM

I have to agree with HDW on this one. I've been loading the 165 HP GK for the smaller 30 cals for years. I have NEVER seen this bullet fail, EVER. It is just a star performer in the .308 and 30-06 for anything you care to carry it for. It is hard for me to imagine shooting a deer 5 times with it, really. Everyone I've ever loaded it for has come back praising it's performance. I think if your friend had to shoot a deer with this bullet 5 times, it's not the bullet. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:13 PM
bigcountry

Just talked to boys at Sierra, and they confirmed that the jacket is thicker at the top of the bullet for a HPBT than the SPBT. They said it would penetrate better than the typical spire point. I might have to try it.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I am telling you guys is if you use Sierra HPGK do not hit heavy bone. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MarkIIVT

I don't buy it at all. I think you just don't like Sierra GK's and that is just fine. However at 300 yards according to a ballistics calculator, the bullet was still going in excess of 2200 FPS and had 1877 foot/lbs of energy, more than plenty to open up the GK and more than plenty to break the bone. If your friend shot the mule deer 3 times in the sholder, the MD was not going anywhere. If the deer was not recovered, something here smells like a gut shot.

According to my Sierra contact, the bullet was designed to break bone with "rapid expansion". I have no clue here as to what transpired, but usually most of the "mechanical" problems can be traced to "operator error". Humans are the wink link in the system, not the components.
These deer can get big......