Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Swift Scirocco or Nosler Ballistic Tip?

Old 10-10-2004, 11:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default Swift Scirocco or Nosler Ballistic Tip?

300 win mag deer?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:33 AM

Default RE: Swift Scirocco or Nosler Ballistic Tip?

Save money and go Ballistic Tip. Devastating on deer.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

With the 300 Win Mag for deer, I would use conventional bullets such as the Hornady interlock or the Sierra Game king. I had a few problems with Ballistic tips from both the 7 Mag and 300 Mag. In standard calibers I love the ballistic tip but not in the magnums. The exception would be long range shooting or loading the ballistic tip down to about 2800 fps. The Nosler however is the only plasic tipped bullet that I have persoally used. I would also recommend 180 grain bullets for the 300 Win Mag. I loaded a lot of rounds for the 300 Mag and 7 MM Mag.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either bullet is going to do the job, what you have to figure out is which one shoots best in your rifle. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nosler all the way, im not impressed with the scirocco
Old 11-10-2004, 06:35 PM

I have had good lethal performance with the Swift Scirocco in my 7mm mag with 150 grain bullet. Good luck

I also use ballistic tips for deer and have no problems from the 180 grain in my 300 wby to the 95 gr in my 240 wby mag. Good luck
Old 11-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd steer away from the Nosler Ballistic Tip. They are designed to function properly at non-magnum velocities, and are known for being a bit on the weak (read: frangiable) side even at those speeds. I'd think that there's just too much chance the BT out of a magnum would turn into little more than a glorified varmint bullet at such high speeds, especially if the range gets close.

The Scirocco, on the other hand, is a bonded polymer tipped bullet designed for heavier game and higher velocity cartridges, and should still perform very well on deer without causing excess meat damage, or worse yet, gruesome but not immediately fatal flesh wounds when the bullet fails to hold up on impact.

Mike
Old 11-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd steer away from the Nosler Ballistic Tip. They are designed to function properly at non-magnum velocities, and are known for being a bit on the weak (read: frangiable) side even at those speeds. I'd think that there's just too much chance the BT out of a magnum would turn into little more than a glorified varmint bullet at such high speeds, especially if the range gets close
I have taken 8 elk and 2 moose with the 180gr ballistic tip out of my 300 ultramags.No bullet failures to date and only one bullet recovered.That one passed through both shoulders of an elk and lodged in the hide.The 300win mag produces less velocity than the 300ultramag and no deer is even close to the size of a mature elk or moose.I use the 140gr ballistic tip out of my 7mmstw's for all of my deer hunting and with over 20 deer killed with this combination,there have been no bullet failures.Like the ultramag the velocity is much higher than the average cartridge.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:24 PM

Hey all,
I use a variety of Nosler Ballistic Tips for my 7mm-08 & 240 Wby Mag. I love them & they are devestating, with the right reload using a Ballistic Tip, you will do amazing things to the deer & they have incredible knock down, tear 'em up power

GOOD LUCK!