Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Load suggestions for my new hunting revolver...

Old 05-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Load suggestions for my new hunting revolver...

First I'd like to say how stoked I am about my new revolver...I finally saved up enough, with a trade for one of my unused shotguns, to buy my dream hunting handgun, a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull w/ 7.5"bbl! I've been thinking and dreaming about handgun hunting for months, and now it's finally a reality! Looks like the muzzleloaders are going to warm the bench for next season, unless my wife decides to come along this year. I had my dealer order it in and it'll be here sometime tomorrow, but the wait is KILLING ME! I feel like I did as a kid on Christmas Eve I'm so excited.

I've already got a tentitive load workup for the (near) full power .454 Casull hunting rounds. I bought a box of 100 pieces of Starline .454 brass, and I've started with 25.0gr (published MAX load minus 10%) of Alliant 2400 powder and Hornady 300gr XTP-Mag bullets. The load workup is in .5gr increments to 26.5gr. The MAX load is 28.0gr, but as long as accuracy is good and I get no pressure signs at 26.5gr I'm going to stay at 5% below MAX to prolong case life. I'm expecting velocities in the 1550-1650 area, which is more than enough oomph to take down even the biggest corn-fed Iowa bruiser whitetail.

I'd actually had preferred to load 250-260gr bullets for deer, but I could find bullets in that weight range in my local shops, so I went with the larger 300gr XTP-Mags. If anyone had another bullet suggestion in the 250-260gr range that will perform well at .454 Casull velocities, please post them. I've had great luck with XTP-Mags in my muzzleloader which shoots at similar velocities, and the XTP's were fairly inexpensive and available so that's what I picked.

I would also like to know if anyone has a good mild to medium load for .45 Colt with 200-250gr bullets in either jacketed or cast lead (commercially available bullets, not home cast)?

Thanks in advance for you comments and suggestions.

Mike
Old 05-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Load suggestions for my new hunting revolver...

My deer load uses the 265-grain Cast Performance-LBT style flatnose gascheck bullet with 28 grains of 2400. It produces 1550 FPS from a 5.5" barrel, accurate, no leading. Yours no doubt would give like velocities with the 300 grain in that 7.5" barrel. I too use Starline brass, but have found that a 300 grain bullet is not needed for deer shooting up to 75 yards or so, which is over my current handgun range limit for hunting. In the Casull chamber, I use 25 grains of 2400 with the same bullet from .45 Colt cases. I have not chronographed this load, but have seen no excess pressure indications with it in my Taurus Raging Bull, which is no doubt not as stout a pistol as your Ruger.