Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Best Dies ?

Old 02-26-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Best Dies ?

I have see in print that the best dies go in this order.
Wilson,Redding, Forster, RCBS, and the others as battling it out for the the other positions. No real scientific evaluation that I have seen has ever done a study on the issue. Example: Best steel, tightest tolerances and consumer feed back. Lee states that there dies are the tightest tolarences in the industry. Question for the forum. Does anyone know of a study anywhere that has tested the tolarences, steels used and wear quality of reloading dies? Consumer reposts or anyone ?

30-30 Man
Old 02-26-2004, 03:54 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Best Dies ?

Well, I think I have had them all. I really can't complain much with my RCBS as far as runout as long as I take special percaustions. I tried Lee, and that was hit or miss. Now only ones I use of lees is the collet dies. They seem to work well for me.

But recently, I have been on this runout kick. So I purchased seaters by Redding. They are pricey but seat bullets more precise than any I have ever seen. Runout problems started disappearing. They appear to me to be very nice precise dies. If you can afford them.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used Wilson dies, but I have used the others you mentioned. I feel Forester dies are the best. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my dies are RCBS.....and a few Redding....and only one set of Hornady.....

As far as I know all the makers use 12L14 steel and case harden the sizing dies.....and while some manufacturers may still be using reamers, many are now actually boring the finish cut in bar feeding CNC machines. Tolerances can easily be held very close that way. I'm staying with RCBS not because their dies are better.....their customer service is superb and there's a lot to that!
Old 02-28-2004, 08:28 AM

Thanks everyone for all you responses. I guess that the best die is the one that works best for you. I do have to say that is appears that Lee and Layman seem to have the most complaints as I posted this on five other boards. You either love them or hate them. The one thing I think we would all like to know from these companies is the customer satisfaction and how many dies are sent back. Now we all know that information wont be published !
Old 02-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have Lee, RCBS and Hornady. Never had a lick of trouble with any of them. I like the Hornady seater dies best.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my limited experience I've found that I have had no problem with RCBS carbide pistol dies or Redding rifle dies.

I bought the RCBS dies a long time ago because I always figured that I'd start reloading for .45ACP someday. The 200 rounds I've reloaded with them so far have been were consistant and shoot better then the cheap factory JRN rounds I had been buying (Win. USA and Rem. UMC). I bought the Redding dies because of Reddings reputation for excellent rifle dies. I got the 3-die set with full length and neck sizers and standard seater die. I've only used the neck sizer die so far, as I'm loading for a bolt action rifle and with 3 reloads the brass hasn't yet gotten too tough to chamber to warrant a FL sizing. But the neck sizer works great and the bullet seater die loads them nice and straight. I do plan on investing in a Redding Competition micrometer seating die, as setting a precise seating depth with the standard die is a lenthy and tedious process. But once set where I want it it never wavers. Very consistant. I'm sure that RCBS puts out good rifle dies too, but I'm interested in loading for superior accuracy, so the additional expense of the Redding dies I feel is worth it. If you're loading for economy, or just loading big game hunting loads where you don't sweat the difference between 1 or 1.5 MOA groups, then any dies should work fine. I also have a set of Lee .44Mag dies for their progressive press (with the powder pass thru expander die), and I really don't care for how cheap they look and feel. They are definately economy dies, and I'll stick with RCBS pistols dies.

Mike
Old 03-04-2004, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use RCBS dies and i've never had any problems what so ever with their dies or products. I'm not saying others don't make good dies i've just never had any reason to try anything else. Like vapodog said they have great customer service to boot.