Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Barnes Triple Shock

Old 01-12-2004, 07:33 AM
bigcountry

Default Barnes Triple Shock

Whats been your experiences with the new Triple shock? Picked up a few boxes 150gr for my 308win and 180gr for my 300RUM. They say you can go another 1 or 2gr than the X bullet. Is this what you guys notice. Barnes is so flakey when it comes to high pressures.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:04 AM

Default RE: Barnes Triple Shock

Start below where you were on the x bullet.
From what I have seen in print and experienced in my own loads the powder grains your loads will take are about the same as the x bullets.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:35 AM
bigcountry

noway, did you see any increases in velocity or pressure signs. Was you able to go the 1 or 2gr extra that barnes advertised. Wonder what would happen if you moly'd these badboys.

Old 01-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC supposedly the tripleshock is designed to have less friction so it can be loaded faster and not need the moly coat ,while it still worked like a X bullet . If you were going to moly it why not just shoot LCX's and forget it . I shoot LCX bullets and the loads are all 3-5 grains higher than the loads I do for X bullets . I haven't tried the triple yet but will when I get rid of all the x bullets I have .
Old 01-13-2004, 06:41 AM
bigcountry

I have never heard of a LCX bullet. Who makes those. Do you mean XLC's from barnes. As too why not try XLC's. Had bad experiences several years ago. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. So I liked the concept of Tripleshocks. As far as molying them, alot of people moly any and all of there bullets with good success, including Dave Tubb. I don't moly all, but have done it. I find it to be a messy task.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:24 AM

With the XLC coated bullet it takes a couple more grains to get to the same velocity as you get with x or triple shock bullets. In my loads I could get about 3 grains more in my loads than with the x and the velocity was about 100fps better at max.

With the triple shock the grains in my loads and the velocity was just slightly above the x bullet. Half a grain more powder and 40fps on average more velocity.
Accuracy was MUCH better than I got with the X or XLC.

I have only shot one animal with the triple shock so far, a coyote at 460 paces with my 25-06 100gr bullet.
Caliber sized hole going in and a 2" hole going out. Great performance at that distance.

I can't wait to give the 180's a try in my 300 win mag. Should be an excellent elk bullet, as performance is supposed to equal the x bullet.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:27 AM

For your information Lazzeroni markets a bullet they call a lazzerhead. It is a barnes triple shock bullet built undersized then has a metalic np3 coating electroplated to it which brings it back up to standard diameter. They are very slick. Lazzeroni claims they can be driven as fast as standard lead core bullets while retaining x bullet performance without the bore fouling problems while maintaining accuracy guaranteed by Lazzeroni rifles. I just picked up two boxes for a 300 wby and hope to try them out this weekend. With a b.c. of .428 and at 3540+ fps, I am hoping for the ultimate long range deer load. Now if I can just get them to shoot accurately ..........!
Old 01-13-2004, 12:08 PM
bigcountry

Yea, I saw an add for those. Little pricey. Figured I would try the TripleX's first and go from there. Had a hard time getting my hands on the tripleshocks.

Old 01-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC I have to ask what problem did you have with the XLC"s (I stand corrected ) I use them in three calibers and haven't had any major problems .
I can't see all that much advantage to moly coating and can't stand the mess .
Old 01-14-2004, 07:26 AM
bigcountry

Its been a while since I tried them. Just couldn't get them to shoot at all out of guns that I know are subMOA guns. As John Barshness said in a recent article, they either shoot or don't shoot in guns. I believe him. Cause I know people that gets match accuracy out of XLC's. According to the article, if you have a gun that is a little on the worn side they might not shoot. I also found that. Or a gun with a tight bore, and another gun I was trying has a new Kreiger barrel, which according to my smith is notoriously tight. Well maybe. With modern screamers like 300RUM, I love the concept of barnes. I mean shoot it as hard as can, and bullet failure or fragmentation should be no problem.

Quick Reply: Barnes Triple Shock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.