Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Barnes "X" bullet?

Old 12-13-2003, 02:38 PM

Default Barnes "X" bullet?

I use the barnes mz expanders in my muzzleloader. It works very well. What about the Barnes X for a rifle? If it performs half as well as the mz expander, I think it will be a very good bullet. Has anybody used or heard about them or their performance. I am starting to reload and i would like to know what is better, the Barnes x or the Nosler partition.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barnes "X" bullet?

Barnes X is a mixed blessing for rifles. Many folks love them and consider accuracy to be excellent.....others can't get them to shoot well and say they leave a lot of copper in the barrel and it's a mess to clean out the copper.

Performance seems to be excellent but accuracy must come first.

All in all the Nosler Partician is still the standard by which all premium bullets are measured and one has a hard time finding a dissatisfied customer.

If you reload the Barnes bullets, get the Barnes Manual....the loads are different with the solid copper bullets and in some cases it's significant.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never had a Barnes bullet not work and I can't say the same for Nosler . thats been my experience with them .
Old 12-14-2003, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Barnes "X" is a excellent bullet. I have had notning but good luck with them. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:09 AM

The Barnes XLC bullet is a coated bullet [not moly] that will not foul your barrel anymore than your typical lead core bullet and you get the same performance from it as the X. Again as mentioned use the Barnes reload manual. It's very infomative and an interesting read. As far as performance on game, it is the best you could ask for. It penetrates 100%, expands at as little as 1700 fps, you have no break up of the bullet, little meat damage, and no lead scattered through your meat. One shot kills the norm, made one on a buck this season at 130 yds., dropped in his tracks.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:53 PM

Thank you guys for the advice! I am glad to hear that people are impressed with the X bullet. I know that I will never ram another bullet down my mz barrel unless it it is a Barnes Expander. They are phenominal bullets and they are also very accurate. I am going to try the X bullet in my .270 and I am looking forward to seeing how it does. If there is anything else you guys want to tell me, i am anxious to hear it! Thanks for the input.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:35 PM

I too am a fan of the barnes MZ. Terminal performance is incredible and accuracy is MOA. I've spent alot of time and $ trying to get barnes bullets to shoot in a 340wby and a 300wby. I've shot both coated and standard variety. In short, I couldn't get them to shoot accurately at magnum velocities (yes, Barnes friends, I did start with a clean barrel). If you back them off a couple hundred fps, they shoot well. Loading for them is a little tricky--they have a longer bearing surface than conventional bullets of the same weight. As a result, they can't be driven to the same velocity without higher pressures. On the other hand, given their higher ballistic coefficient, the loss of velocity will frequently even out on the otherside of 400-500 yards. I am interested in trying the new variation with a reduced bearing surface that is suppose to equalize pressures. I'm also going to try some custom undersized bullets that have a special coating ($50 a box). I do intend to load them for my son's 7mm08 this winter--I'll post the results. At standard velocities, they are reported to shoot well. If I could get 150 grainers to shoot accurately at a reasonable velocity, it would be my deer load of choice in a 300wby. For the time being, my old reliable standby load of 180 partitions get the nod.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have got to try the X coated X Bullets. I am tierd of trying to clean out the copper. Thanks to the guys here for the cleaning tip. I have to go to Fargo to get anything to clean it. I can't find cr-10 or wipeout or the nylon brushes here. The performance of the X bullet is excellent when it gets to the target. Unsurpased.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want an accurate X bullet, then try the new Triple Shock. I had no problem at all getting this bullet to shoot well. With this bullet you get the terminal ballistics X bullets are noted for, less barrel fouling and excellent accuracy. To me it's a no brainer.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Without a doubt Barnes. The new "Triple Shock" version is a good choice.

Quick Reply: Barnes "X" bullet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.