Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Powder Temperature Changed. Shouldn' t!

Old 11-27-2003, 10:25 AM

Default Powder Temperature Changed. Shouldn' t!

ok here goes. I worked up some loads over the year. I found that in my particular rifle which is a Winchester model 70 .308 that the RL-15 powder seemed to work best as far as consistent and accurate shooting. I loaded 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and 150 grain Sierra Spitzers. They both were very accurate with RL-15 at a charge of 45.0 grains. However they seemed to be tempermental to the weather and whether it was cold or hot. Or at least they were.
I went out Monday morn which was the first day of Buck Rifle season here in WV and about 10:00am had about a 12 point within 30 yards of me. It was tickling in the greenbrier thicket and I standing above it on the side hill. It never saw me. When it has worked directily under me it turned facing downhill and staring. I thought that something in the bottom had its attention. So having all the confidence in the world in this rifle and load as my father in law saids I am a dead shot, I lowered the crosshairs right on the back of its neck where it joins its backline. I noticed no kind of " buckfever" and my crosshairs set steady right away. I pulled the trigger and the deer dissapeared. I heard no crashing, moving, running etc. nor did I see any as I scoped the area. After about 10 minutes I figured that shot at 30 yards with a Ballistic Tip had put it down in its tracks. I started making my way down to it and within 15 yards of moving another buck, an 8 point spotted me moving and bolted on the ridge top behind me. Darn! Anyway It was pouring the rain so blood trailing was out of the picture. Fog had began to settle in and it was very cold outside. Those bullets in my rifle had been there for about 4 hours exposed to the cold, damp, temps. I continued to look the remainder of the day for the buck and never found him! Disgusted!!!!!! I thought that the RL-15 powder was suppose to be an alweather powder that did not change in weath climate? Somehow I must have missed or that buck got away hit and I did not know it or where it went.
Next day, I am hunting and see a spike early in the morning. I was using my .308 again with RL-15 powder at 45 grains under a 150 grain Sierra Spitzer. It was about 75 to 100 yards away and I was rested off the tree. The spike was walking but slowly towards me, but quartering away. I lowered the crosshairs and put them on the shoulder and pulled. The bullet hit the spike in the face! Ripping it all the way through its throat. It layed down and I thought was dead. By the time I made a circle around and come back to it it was still alive laying in a cold stream of water. I pulled a side arm to finish it and it bolted. It was about 50 yards away and I shot again with the rifle , this time the bullet hit its mark right dead behind the front shoulder on a broadside shot.
Later that evening, now mind you the weather was up near 65 degrees by now, I went to shoot my rifle to see if it truly was on or off. I shot 3 shots within an inch of each other and concluded it was.
Can Anyone tell me what could be the problem here? Is this powder not weather resistant enough? Do I need to load some with magnum primers for cold weather days? What do you suggests? Thank.
Whitey
Old 11-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Powder Temperature Changed. Shouldn' t!

I have very serious doubts that the problem is the powder or the ammo in any manner.

Old 11-28-2003, 11:36 AM

I agree with Vapodog. I don' t think that the powder has anything to do with it. I don' t get any difference in POI whether it is 90 degrees or 20 below. I think you missed the big one, and pulled your shot on the spike. Either that or you' re hitting twigs/branches on the way to the deer.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

What condition was the barrel in? I.E. was it clean and dry or was it oiled? First shot with oil in the barrel can make POI do some very funny things. Either way that is why I tend to start working up hunting loads after Columbus day and the weekend before the opener I' ll do a range session to be sure nothing has changed.