Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading kit

Old 11-23-2003, 10:34 AM

Default Reloading kit

I have been reloading with my father for probably 20 years or so. Usually I go to his house and reload but now I have decided to buy my own and quit mooching (hehe). Anyway, Is there a decent " kit" by RCBS or whoever that is a good start and decent price? I have looked at Cabelas and they have what looks like a decent Rock Chuker kit. Is the kit with the electronic dispenser/scale worth it? Or is the Lyman electronic dispenser/scale better? Or should I stay out of the high tech and stick with the " teeter totter" scale. Confused yet? I think I am hehe. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-23-2003, 06:40 PM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: Reloading kit

If you have been reloading with your dad for 20 years why don' t you get the same equiptment that your already used to? The Rockchucker is a nice press though.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here' s what I' d buy and not much more in a kit: Rockchucker press, powder measure, balance beam scale, funnel, chamfer/deburr tool, loading block, loading manual unless it' s Spears, and a dribbler.

Buy separately case trimmer (Wilson or Forester), Hodgdon hard cover loading manual, spray lube from Lyman or Hornady,RCBS or Redding dies, RCBS shell holder, case length gage....probably a metal (not plastic) dial calipers.

Optional for the time being: digital scale, auto powder dispenser, case tumbler.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:30 PM

Well, fight4yourguns, most of the stuff that we have been using is 1960' s era. So most is way out of date. I was just wondering if there were any kits like from Cabelas or whatever that were worth buying, otherwise I would buy it all seperate. On the electronic schtuff: I havent found many trials by people on these. There were a few but nothing conclusive. It sounds like they are slow? Some peeps say that they are not accurate. I was just wondering what you guys thought in here.

Back on the kit thingy. The only reason that I would buy a kit was to save money. I have looked and it seems that the RCBS supreme master kit would be enough to get started since I have all the dies and case holders. I figure that the powder and primers are probably cheaper at a gun show since there is a $20 extra charge for " HazMat" stuff. What is wrong with a Speer manual? I have never owned one. Just wondering. Anyway, thanks for the input.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:04 PM
jjt

ARBowHntr

I bought my reloading kit from a guy in AZ off of Ebay it was my first purchase from the place but i was very impressed with the sell

i had plenty of time to wach for a deal ( sounds like your in no hurry)
and i looked at the stuff he was offering and then priced it out before i placed my bid

turned out i got around $650 dollars worth of equiptment for $390 with shipping

it is used equiptment but rcbs warrenties the stuff for life so it can still be replaced

plus the guy threw in a bunch of brass/bullets/targets for free

just an idea you might take a look
Old 11-24-2003, 09:42 PM

Thanks jjt, Ill keep that in mind. I was thinking of looking on Ebay. Usually I keep an eye on the local classifieds. I have seen some pretty good deals in there also.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

Redding has some really nice kits, as well. Don' t hesitate to look for them on ebay, or anywhere else, for that matter.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:50 AM
Host of Hosts

Ebay has lots of Loading stuff at good deals alot of times. I bought a Lee Anniversary Kit when I first started, it was under 100.00 (new) and did the job. Since then I have replaced most everything through Ebay or local gun shop. The local shops sometimes get used equiptment.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:36 PM

Thanks fellers! I think Im just going to get a RCBS Rock Chcker Supreme Master kit. About $259 in most places, a little cheaper on Ebay maybe. It seems to have most of the stuff to start out. Only thing needed is a trickler (redding) and some case slick instead of the lube pad. Basically that should get me started, I have most of the other stuff. Once again, thanks for the input!