Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

what brass tumbler/polisher do you use

Old 03-07-2021, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Default what brass tumbler/polisher do you use

what brass tumbler/polisher do you use

Ive been seriously thinking of upgrading to this Dillon brass polisher

https://www.dillonprecision.com/case...pment_8_8.html

Ive been using a couple LYMAN vibrator/polishers that hold a bit over 1 gallon each,
and while the results are good, they are just not up to handling the volume of rifle cases Id like to process,
and they take about 3-3.5 hours to get the brass pristine even with new medium and polishing cleaner added
any thoughts here? any other options, in a high volume brass vibrator/polisher (and yeah I have 220 volt but prefer 110 volt)
Ive tried a bunch of different mediums and polishing compound mixes they all work
but Id like to dump maybe 2 gallons of medium and cases into the polisher at a time and ideally
(yeah probably dreaming) get good results in as bit under 2.5 hours a batch on 223, 10mm, 44 mag,or 308 cases

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-07-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cannot really suggest any brand or model

but I gather your like me and have tried a bunch of them
over the yrs I know I have tried many I liked the stainless steel media cleanings best, but more work than I am informally looking for
but do have one of them
I have a few Lyman and Hornady ,rcbs and a few other one's as well, from smaller sized to larger
IMO< they all work OK, if you do your part, don't over load and keep good cleaning material a in them

My Thumler’s Tumbler will clean a bunch of cases at a time and there are larger one's like it on the market today that will do over a 1,000 .223 rounds at a time

but your still stuck with the drying of cases to do things right
which I don;t care for

for me, as I don't reload much anymore, to be honest
a smaller one works best as I only reload 1 caliber at a time(same with cleaning brass) typically for playing at distance and ain;'t loading a ton of rounds per session!

if your into larger amounts, the larger rotary tumblers might be the better option than a vibrating only one! IMO
just might require investing more $$ up front to get all things needed to do so, but once you have all things, you should be able to get thru a large amount of cases pretty fast
if you buy a large dryer that is?
​​​​​​​

Old 03-11-2021, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Lyman Turbo that i've had for years that came with a kit i bought from a friend that was getting out of reloading. I use a mix of corncob / walnut media. I also add Lyman Turbo Bright polisher to the media and it has always done a good job cleaning and polishing brass. It does however take hours to clean things up especially if the brass is really dirty. I usually turn it on and do other stuff and periodically check the brass until it's clean. I know there's nicer and faster tumblers out there and the ones with the steel media look to really do a good job and fast but no more brass than i clean i can't justify buying one. Dillon does make good tumblers, i know several guys locally that use them.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have all 3 methods of cleaning brass: vibratory tumbler, rotary wet tumbler, and ultrasonic cleaner. Vibratory tumbling is my least favored of the 3 options, with wet tumbling being my preferred method. Southern Shine stainless chips, or no media at all, and my bigger batches of brass come out clean with minimal hand-moving from me. Wet methods get brass cleaner than dry tumbling, no dust, nothing stuck in primer pockets, CLEAN primer pockets and clean case interiors. Rinsing with hot water helps speed up drying, or dipping in methanol immediately dries, but I’ve found an inexpensive brass dryer (rebranded meat/food dehydrator) does a fantastic job at drying brass quickly and completely. An hour or less in the rotary tumbler, rinse with hot water, and an hour in the dryer, the batch is ready to load.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

thanks for the info/tips
Old 03-12-2021, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use a Lyman with crushed walnut media.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

i have a vibration tumbler that i use corncob media in. does a good job of cleaning my brass. i always leave the spent primers in so nothing get caught in the primer hole. i dont load a lot at one time so i dont mind cleaning the primer pocket out by hand. i use Cabelas brass polish in the media.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:57 AM
Spike

I have had really good results with the Frankford Arsenal Tumbler. All of their products are top notch.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:17 AM
Spike

Lyman vibrating cleaner using wallnut shell material with 1/2 of baking soda blasting material they come out real shiny.