Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Hornady Interlock.........

Old 10-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hornady Interlock.........

Here' s a compairson picture of a 416 caliber 400 grain Hornady RN fired from a 416 Rigby with a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps and a distance of 45 yards.

The bullet on the left side shows the top and side view of the bullet that passed through the heart of a 300lb bear. I dug this bullet out of about 12" ground behind him. It took a step backwards and dropped in it' s tracks. The recovered bullet weight 298 grains.

The bullet on the right side shows the same views but was dug up from a dirt backstop . This bullet was fired from appoximately 50 yards. Same 2600 fps velocity. The recovered weight of this one was 265 grains.

Both mushroomed well and somewhat alike. I do think the bullet that took the bear lost/shed alot of it' s weight when tearing into the ground. *note* the lead is pitted

I am happy with the performance of this bullet and it' s outstanding accuracy.

I just wanted to share this with y' all.

doubleA

Old 10-17-2003, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady Interlock.........

I do think the bullet that took the bear lost/shed alot of it' s weight when tearing into the ground.
I' d agree with that. Thanks for the pics.....A .416 is a tad much for black bear but " to each, his own" .
Old 10-17-2003, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

I' d agree with that. Thanks for the pics.....A .416 is a tad much for black bear but " to each, his own" .

lol isnt that the truth, it' s really too much for anything here in North America, but with that said I truly enjoy this round. I use it for everything. One of these days I am going after turkey with a solid at appx 1500 fps or a hard cast 300 gr.
I whacked 3 hogs last year that were all lined up in a row with 1 shot.... the first 2 had normal damage to the meat/shoulder area while the 3rd and last hog had very extreme damage to say the least. You can tell by the entry wound that the bullet was fully expanded when it entered the shoulder, it was about an inch in diameter, it exited up through the spine and was not recovered. That is the most damage I have ever seen on a critter.

The common misconception is that these big cartridges destroy alot of meat..... while in reality the big bullets just penetrate well and disrupt no more that most high power cartridges. There are exceptions to the rule as the above story stated.

double A
Old 10-19-2003, 06:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-20-2003, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been useing them for years. They just keep rather quitley doing just what a bullet should do. Provide quick clean kills. I used them in my 416 Remington mag. I use them now in my 257 Roberts. I also use quite a few Nosler Partition bullets.