Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Youth Rifle, 243 or 7mm08?

Old 01-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

In my opinion and what I have seen a 243 is not a youth rifle to much could go wrong and I feel the bigger bullet of the 7mm/08 is better. An average 8 year old can not noticeable tell the difference between a 243 and a 7/08. I know man th people that hunt with 243, but the deer they shoot all run a good ways. Most of the young hunter I know
all use 7/08.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

.243 not a good rifle for a youth? Not sure I understand that one, but certainly you are entitled to your opinion. I can only tell you from my experience...my son has shot 13 with his, all are dead...most died within 30-50yds. A couple fell on the spot. He did have a couple that went about 75yds, running dead.

Deer running off too far is usually indicative of either poor shot placement, or poor bullet performance. Not the caliber. I've seen guys with .300 mags have deer run more than 100yds...it wasn't the caliber.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

My opinion is you should use the biggest gun you can van dam, the animal deserves the respect to be killed quickly and cleanly. I feel the more energy of the 7/08 is a better choice for a young hunter. You never know if the animal will move right when you shoot anything can happen. I agree and animal can run with the biggest guns with poor.shot placement. But don't you feel a big gun gives you the advance. Yes practices so you can make the good shots. But in hunting anything can happen.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Deer don't run any farther from a 243 than a 7'08. Last weekend I shot a nice 7 pt with a 243, fell where he stood. Only advantage in my opinion is if you hit the shoulder. Bigger bullet has more momentum to help ensure good penetration. If I like the 243 so much, why have I decided to go 7'08? Pretty simple, he's a kid, can't guarantee he'll keep it off the shoulder. Hell, can't promise I'll make a perfect shot every time either.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

These conversations always make me laugh...

I bought a .243 in 1980, when I was a youth (20)...I'm now 58, and have killed well over 200 deer with it, losing 2 during that time...I'm also 6ft 5 and weigh 240, nobody tells me that it's for "smaller" hunters...

The .243 is one heck of a deer rifle, I've killed too many to be told different...

My 2 brothers and their grown sons have .270s, a 7mm-08 and a .280...They all kill deer, how quickly is dependent upon where the bullet is put...Frankly my deer go down quicker than those shot by my brothers or my nephews, know why???? It's because I use that .243 year round for crows, groundhogs, coyotes, whatever...I can shoot the dang thing and put the bullet where I want to because of familiarity with the gun and practice...

In the end, that is what is most important...
Old 01-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Nchawkeye, well freakin said. Put the bullet where it belongs and the critter will die. Don't, no super duper whiz bang magnum gonna help you. Why did Jack O Connor like his 270 so much? Because it's light recoil helped him put the bullet where it had to go.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Yes bullet placement is the key. But screw up a and that small bullet could result in a lost animal. Yes I killed deer with a 243. I just think using a bigger caliber if you can handle it is will advised. How does recoil help a bullet get where it needs to go. I can see where light recoil help you get back on target faster, but not with aiming. Yes there has been tons of deer killed with a 243, but I like the 7/08 better.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Spike

My opinion is the .243 all day every day. My wife has shot the Savage youth .243 for three years now with a Nikon 3x9x40. A 100 grain box of Remington Express core lok are available at any Wal Mart or any other place that sells ammo for 19 dollars. That little gun will hold 1 MOA at 100 yards with cheap ammo and she dropped a 170 pound 8 point in its tracks at 168 yards last year with a shoulder shot. What’s not to like. I believe in the KISS method.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Recoil doesn't help ya put the bullet where it needs to be but it sure as hell can prevent you from putting it there. Guys and kids shootin guns that kick to much for em tends to lead to poor shot placement. A gun that is pleasant to shoot tends to lead to less nerves when it comes time to pull the trigger.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbj270
My opinion is you should use the biggest gun you can van dam, the animal deserves the respect to be killed quickly and cleanly. I feel the more energy of the 7/08 is a better choice for a young hunter. You never know if the animal will move right when you shoot anything can happen. I agree and animal can run with the biggest guns with poor.shot placement. But don't you feel a big gun gives you the advance. Yes practices so you can make the good shots. But in hunting anything can happen.
Bbj270.... I hear ya man. I'm telling you if we could go back 20yrs, what you wrote would have been exactly what I would have said. Literally, word for word. And I would have argued to the death that I was right. Now, 20yrs and a ton of deer later, I don't feel that way.

The good thing, we both are right because we can shoot what we want. You take the 7mm-08, I'll take the .243 and we'll both have dead deer...well, at least I know I will. LOL, just kidding

And to answer the recoil question...recoil can sometimes create an anticipation flinch - which can lead to an bad shot. This is especially true with the big calibers. I know a couple folks that own them and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn due to being unconsiously scared of thier gun. Not that 7mm-08 has a ton of recoil, but you get the picture. It only takes getting busted in the eye or nose one time for someone to potentially become a terrible shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.