Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

question from a novice

Old 07-29-2003, 09:20 AM

Default question from a novice

Hi, I' m a creative writing student doing a story that involves a hunter. If anyone could give me a very short lesson, it would really help me get the details right.

My question is, what are the variations in re-loading? Do people ever use single shot guns any more or is that just in the movies? Are there different regulations for how many shells go in the magazine, depending on what you are hunting (e.g. deer, bear, birds, etc)?

My story is kind of Stephen King-ish -- total fiction -- it concerns a hunter in the Adirondacks who begins hunting down hikers and people. What kind of gun might he use, based on the area? How many shots could he fire before re-loading?

Thanks so much for any help you can give! If it ever gets published I will keep you in the credits.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:33 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: question from a novice

I may be off base here. But we, the shooting community does not need any more steriotypes caused by fictionous movies or books.

Why not write a nice book about a hunter using his gun to save some lost children from an angry black bear mother with cubs. Or better, use your writing skills to help educate people about guns and our history, on how it helped to make our country. A right that was fought for and paid for by thousands. Another idea is write a book based on stories that often downplayed where a gun in the house helped save a family from violent offenders that are let out on parole. All good ideas. American Rifleman has several of these true stories every month.

By the way this is a page that concerns reloading our own ammo with various powders, and bullets, not reloading the gun.

I doubt you will get much help here.

Old 07-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

We actually agree on something this time bigcountry.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:10 AM
bigcountry

Actually we agree on lots of things as long as it has nothing to do with Savages, Short Mags, and New Cartidges.

Old 07-29-2003, 10:16 AM
bigcountry

Oh, and the 30-30. Forgot also the .22 caliber thing. Thats about it.

Old 07-29-2003, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not all new cartridges. I have an interest in the 358 RUM, 500 S&W, and even though its not that new anymore the 260 Rem and 7mm STW.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:58 AM

or, I could write about a couple of hunters who take themselves a little too seriously...
Old 07-29-2003, 11:37 AM
bigcountry

What is too serious? Some people could think that you take writing too seriously. Some may think its useless entertainment. But your going to univerisity for it. Pretty serious. You are on a page where shooting and hunting is a lifestyle. For most of us, our lives revolve around it. From the off road truck we buy, to where we choose to live to the way we think. It is people like yourself, that we have to join a group like the NRA to make sure we keep our lifestyle because you think we take it too seriously. We shouldn' t have to keep defending ourselfs from attacks like the Million Mom March, Handguns Inc., etc. But if we didn' t defend ourselves and take it too seriously, we would be like a communist country like China, where we wouldn' t have that right. You think its not a serious issue, look at the attacks from frivialous lawsuits to all 50 states where antiguners are always testing the waters.

If you think I am alone, why not go post that question on the deer hunting forum and see how many people take it seriously. In fact, go to any of these forums, and see how much help you can get for your little story.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:57 AM

look, no one has a problem with hunters using guns for sport. some people want to get rid of guns because they end up being used by criminals. i don' t rwally know much about the NRA, but if gun users want to protect their rights, they should -- and maybe they are, i really don' t know -- but they should help keep guns from falling into the hands of criminals. that' s how they get a bad rap.

as for entertainment, Hollywood would probaby shrivel up and die if it couldn' t bust out the big artillery. guns get plenty of favorable attention in the movies, from the good guys as well as the bad. so, i don' t hear you on that one.

and as for my " little story," it doesn' t present guns in a negative light, or even necessarily the hunter. not that it would matter to you, but it' s about the clash between spoiled, consumer-crazy kids from suburbia and a guy (our hunter) who believes he is protecting the true fabric of America.

so i guess you' re right, i do take it seriously.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

look, no one has a problem with hunters using guns for sport.
Where have you been the last 10 years? PETA, HCI, greenpeace and now even the U.N. would like all guns banned. You might want to talk to someone in Austrailia or Great Britain and see how gun bans start. I am sure they could enlighten you. But as far as taking issues involving my constitutional rights too seriously then yes, you are damn skippy I do.

Quick Reply: question from a novice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.