Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

question from a novice

Old 07-29-2003, 01:18 PM

Default RE: question from a novice

i' ve met a few people from Great Britain and Australia. For better or worse, the rate of violent crime is less than 1% of what it is here.

and, a lot of people - not me, as i' m not a lawyer - will argue with you that owning a gun is a constitutional right...
Old 07-29-2003, 01:41 PM
bigcountry

Ok, now I am getting upset. You obviously haven' t been over to England lately. You know they have over 10X hot burglarys in UK than here in the US. A hot burglary is what most familys consider thier worst nightmare. Thats where people come into your house while you are asleep to rob it. Wonder why. Not everyone was on board with these rules over in England, but was easily pushed on them. Here we the people have a tad more control over our goverments.

As a person that spends a great deal of time over in UK, Europe, Asia and Australia, I can tell you, you are full of it. There are places in Western London that I think rival the streets of Cherry Hill in Baltimore. And Austrailia, like they really had a crime problem to begin with.

Grow up and go out and live life instead of reading other people interpitation of it in books.

Old 07-29-2003, 02:15 PM

Actually, I was in England in January. Haven' t been to Australia, but I have been to New Zealand, as well as Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, France, Italy, Belgium...I' ve also lived in New York, Los Angeles, Boston...so, at this point, I' ve been out in the world a little bit, and I think I' m as grown up as I' ll ever be.

Hey, I love this country - but facts are facts - the violent crime rate (especially murder) in the U.S. is much higher than any of the developed nations in Europe or Asia. It' s just a fact. You' re not responsible for it; neither am I, nor are guns themselves. I' m not even saying I' m for gun control, or anything like that.

But try to understand where people are coming from. I don' t support the NRA, either, but I can understand how guns help us keep a check on the government (in theory).
Old 07-29-2003, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like we discovered a rotten apple in our bunch!!
Old 07-29-2003, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

writer500:

You have your interpreted your " facts" incorrectly.

What you are doing is irresponsible and is ambivalent to lawful gun owners.

Could you provide by posting on this board links to other published pieces you have written?

Old 07-29-2003, 10:44 PM

check inside your head for those rotten apples, pal.

as for the facts, i don' t write about crime statistics, I write fiction. But here is a link - I just did a search on " international crime statistics."

http://www.interpol.int/Public/Stati...wnloadList.asp

As you can see, England (a much smaller country, of course) had 850 murders in 2001; the U.S. had over 15,000. Go ahead and look. Obviously the size of the population makes a difference, but trust me, the U.S. violent crime rate is higher than any other developed nation.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:52 PM

i didn;t notice at first but they list population, too, at the top. So, England had about 52 million people in 2001, compared with 284 million in the US. So, the U.S. murder rate is about three times that of England if you work it out. We blow them away in every category - rape, serious assault - except, as your friend pointed out earlier, theft.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:49 AM
bigcountry

Ok, so what was the rate before they outlawed guns? No or little change. You can' t compare us to England. We are different culture. And frankly after spending so much time over there for work, I don' t want to be like England.

For us to adopt these violent crime statistics, it take more than gun control. I like our american culture. We are agressive. We are proud and We take what we want. As a friend of mine in Hastings told me, " We don' t have any rights over here, and never did, it was just smoke and mirrors" .

I would rather have gunfights in the middle of the street than to give up my freedom. America worked so hard to get this freedom from, you guess it, and now is so quick to give it away. For safety. I am a biker you see. So I see this on several levels. We are the most interesting and inovating culture on the planet. If you been all over Asia as you claim then you see the effects of rote memory learning. Is that the culture you like. Or over in UK and Europe, thier relaxed work days. And laziness. No stress. I about pull my hair out when deal with Spain. 6 hour work days, You can' t get work done in 6 hours. Is that what you want?

Again, if you have been to these countries, get off that double decker bus and out of the Strand area, learn the culture. Unfortanely, I am forced to learn it, for work. And after learning, don' t want any part of it.

Why don' t you just go away.

Old 07-30-2003, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Darn another anti-gunner falling through the cracks and getting onto this site. I will repeat what others have said above. Find some other subject matter for your book punk. Another favor please get a UK or Australian green card where things are safer for the general public. Heckl they allow disgruntled Islamic fundamentalists in they' ll probably allow the likes of you in .
Old 07-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

writer500
Have you ever thought about writing a story that has a woman killing people with a salad fork???

Quick Reply: question from a novice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.