Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Shotshell load problem

Old 05-20-2003, 07:18 PM

Default Shotshell load problem

I' m having a problem with my clay loads. When I clean my barrel after shooting, I get a black plastic coating the entire length of my barrel. Looking down the barrel, before being cleaned, it looks good. After I run a patch soaked with Hoppes No. 9 through it, a bunch of black plastic stuff gobs up through the whole barrel. Its quite a mess to clean. Why is this happening?

My loads are Rem STS hull
WAA12 wad
1 1/8 oz #7 1/2
International Clays powder using #29 bushing in a Sizemaster
and 209 Win primers.

I think the gunk is coming from the wads. They look " smeared" after being fired.

Thanks for any help!!!
Old 05-20-2003, 08:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotshell load problem

I shoot the winchester WAA 12 wads and have never had anything like that . You might switch manufacturers and see if that helps .
Old 05-21-2003, 06:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Spike

I shoot a lot of trap and know exactly what is happening. To get rid of that gunk do this it really works. Get a good wire brush, cut a 1/4 inch strip of scotch-brite pad. Run the strip of S-B pad around and up the wire brush full length leaving some exposed areas of wire brush. And push it in firmly so it doesn' t come off while cleaning. Take off your barrel leave CHOKE TUBE IN and use something like a margerine container to protect floor. Get some LIGHTER FLUID, insert the wire brush on a cleaning rod and run lighter fluid in until it runs out other end of barrel I always clean from the chamber end. Srub the barrel hard and add more lighter fluid as needed. Leave set for about 15-20 minutes. This gives the lighter fluid time to dissolve the gunk. Wet cleaning patches with LF and the 1st few will be black as coal. keep running patches until they come out clear. Bob[8D]
Old 05-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like Bob know' s what he' s talking about.....I' ve owned a dozen shotguns and never had that problem.....what manufacturer is your shotgun?
Old 05-23-2003, 04:40 PM
Spike

The build up is from the plastic wads, I have owned about 6 various makes 12 ga. o/u shotguns and they all did it. I currently have a Ruger Red Label O/U 20 Ga that I use for trap. I have the most problem in summer weather. If I use the bottom barrel the tang on the forearm gets so hot it comes close to burning my hand. Like I said before I shoot a lot of trap 50 shots (2 rounds) is a short day with 100 shots (4 rounds) being a normal day. I shoot 2 sometimes 3 days a week. No I' m not a pro, I average around 21 in most of my leagues.[8D]
Old 05-25-2003, 06:16 PM

Thanks Bob! I shoot a Benelli Montefeltro 12ga. chrome lined barrel.
This does not happen with my pheasant loads - 1 1/2oz lead using waa12r - red wad.

When I shoot clays, its like you say 100 or 200 shells in a days time. Thats a lot of plastic.
To clean the chamber I take a brush and rap real fine steel wool around it to build it up to the size of the chamber, then I screw it on a rod and put it in my DeWalt drill. Cleans the chamber up real nice!

Gerry