Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Where to find data on pressures?

Old 02-12-2009, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default Where to find data on pressures?

I am thinking of necking down a 300 win mag down to a 270. If my calculations are right it will be a screamer. RCBS will build the dies for me. And of course I have to build the rifle and have a reamer built. But my question is this.

I can compare data and know what the new wildcat will do but as far as pressure and calculating that i'm not finding what I need. If loaded to 300 specks the 270 will be a really nice long range preformer but the necking down to a smaller caliber is going to increase the pressure and I need to know where I can get this info to see if it's going to be worth my time to invest the money for a new toy? If anyone has a table that would show these kinds of info please post the links. Thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Where to find data on pressures?

Lots of guys on accurate reloading has some modeling software based of of water weight of a case, bullet, bearing surface, etc. I forget the name of the software. But I believe most of them use that for wildcatting.

300win mag already has the reputation of having small neck's anyway. You sure you want to use that cartridge.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a copy of Lee's reloading manual.There'e lots of info on pressure etc.Real good book and costs less than the other manuals.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:51 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.

Get a copy of Lee's reloading manual.There'e lots of info on pressure etc.Real good book and costs less than the other manuals.
It doesn't have any data on pressures of wildcats?

Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

R.Lee talks about a lot of the pressure experiments/testing he's done with a variety of cartridges including wildcats.There's two chapters in this book dealing with pressure alone.Of the three reloading manuals I have (Sierra second edition,Nosler Anniversary, and Lee's) this one is by far the most informative.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:23 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.

R.Lee talks about a lot of the pressure experiments/testing he's done with a variety of cartridges including wildcats.There's two chapters in this book dealing with pressure alone.Of the three reloading manuals I have (Sierra second edition,Nosler Anniversary, and Lee's) this one is by far the most informative.
Sure, there's discussion on it, but from my books, it would not help this man's question. Maybe I am wrong.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Lee book may not help in giving you specific information on your particular cartridge, bit will help you to better understand how pressures work and how they are effected by the different elements. The way that the book is written, it is easy to understand and things are explained in a way that they just make sense.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's only so much info anyone can provide as regards pressure,etc for wildcats as there is no standardization established for any of them.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

You might give QuickLoad a try. I am sure there are numerous wildcats simular to what you have in mind. IMHO I would look into the 270 WBy or 270 WSM and be done with it. I believe the .264" has a better selection of bullets than the .277"
Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why not just go with a 7mmstw?

Quick Reply: Where to find data on pressures?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.