Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

45-70 Suggestions

Old 02-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 45-70 Suggestions

I went ahead and for simplicity seperated the seating and crimping. I seated all the bullets down to the last ring behind the bullet. On the first crimp something went wrong and the case really buldged bad. I can basically see the bullet through the brass. Is that a throw away? Was it the die being to far down that caused this or was it the seating screw?

Also in order to get the rest of them crimped I backed off on the die and the seating screw. Question: Does the seating screw even need to be in the die for the crimp?

Thanks

Tom

Old 02-24-2008, 06:10 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: statjunk

I went ahead and for simplicity seperated the seating and crimping. I seated all the bullets down to the last ring behind the bullet. On the first crimp something went wrong and the case really buldged bad. I can basically see the bullet through the brass. Is that a throw away? Was it the die being to far down that caused this or was it the seating screw?

Also in order to get the rest of them crimped I backed off on the die and the seating screw. Question: Does the seating screw even need to be in the die for the crimp?

Thanks

Tom
Ok, here is what I do.

First set up the round for seat. Put a sized, primed round in your press and raise the ram to the top. Screw in your seater until it touches the the case mouth, and back up on full turn (to make sure you dont' crimp yet). Start seating, with seater plug backed out alot. Screw in seater plug only (notseater die)until desired seating COL.

Now with seated bullet round with ram all the way up, screw out your seater plug 4 or 5 turns (probably less). Now screw in your seater die (not plug) until you feel it touch the lip of the brass (you want to make sure your seater plug is not contacting your bullet at this point). Screw in 1/8 turn at at time until desired crimp. Now with desired crimp, leave the die in place where it is, and screw down PLUG ONLY until it touches the top of the bullet. I always screw in another 1/8 or less turn for crushing factor. Now, its set to do both crimp and seat.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not remember if I told you this earlier. If I were you I would buy the Redding Taper Crimp Die. I prefer the taper crimp over the roll crimp. The length of the brass is not as critical with the taper crimp, or in other words your case length does not have to be exact. You also do not need to trim as much with the taper crimp, and you will get a lot less smashed cases with this die.

I never seat and crimp in the same stage. Tom.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is a taper crimp more consistent than a roll crimp? With the roll crimper is it possible to over crimp? As long as I don't see any deformation of the bullet then it should be good right?

Also had a couple of other questions

What should I do with that one bullet that kind of bulged?

Also since my bullet is smaller than the recommended OAL of 2.55", am I running the risk of excessive head space and thereby increasing the chamber pressure? I think I used the right terminology there. Not 100% sure.

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 AM
bigcountry

Is a taper crimp more consistent than a roll crimp? With the roll crimper is it possible to over crimp? As long as I don't see any deformation of the bullet then it should be good right?

Also had a couple of other questions

What should I do with that one bullet that kind of bulged?

Also since my bullet is smaller than the recommended OAL of 2.55", am I running the risk of excessive head space and thereby increasing the chamber pressure? I think I used the right terminology there. Not 100% sure.

Thanks

Tom
Toss the one that bulged. Rememeber the 45-70, headspaces off the case rim. But you have to trim all cases to the same length +/-.01". Did you measure to see if they needed trimmed? Its not unusual to have to trim 45-70 cases ever two firings. I like to trim 45-70 so I get consistent crimp. Also, Ido the typical roll crimp. I only taper crimp pistol cartridges.I see no advantage of taper crimp of a 45-70, especially with a bullet with a cannalure. If you don't trim, you might get several bulged cases.

45-70 is one of those rounds where you have a lot of freedom with COL. And a round like a 357sig or 40S&W, you don't. Don't worry about them being a tad deeper.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

BC,

The cases all measured within .01 of each other. They cases were also below the max case length in the book and above the trim to in the book. Is this what you're referring to? Or do you literally mean that I should have put every case on the trimmer?

Wow that is a total bummer on the trim every two loadings. That is my least favorite part of reloading. Hate trimming.

I guess I got to do what I got to do.

How big of an issue is slight variation in case length to accuracy?

TT

P.S. I really appreciate the help here guys. I have no one else to ask these kinds of questions.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 AM
bigcountry

BC,

The cases all measured within .01 of each other. They cases were also below the max case length in the book and above the trim to in the book. Is this what you're referring to? Or do you literally mean that I should have put every case on the trimmer?

Wow that is a total bummer on the trim every two loadings. That is my least favorite part of reloading. Hate trimming.

I guess I got to do what I got to do.

How big of an issue is slight variation in case length to accuracy?

TT

P.S. I really appreciate the help here guys. I have no one else to ask these kinds of questions.
I trimmed up 100 45-70 myself last night. Max case is 2.105", I usually trim those cases to 2.090". I know thats a tad under trime to length. But I too hate trimming.

I like all my cases I am crimping to be within .005 of each other. Not all my cases needed to be trimmed, but I went ahead and trimmed to be withing 2.090-2.093".

accuracy is not big deal, but your crimping could be not uniform if they vary. I wouldn't worry about it as long as they were all all within 2.095" and 2.105".

Old 02-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most were 2.101". I'll be shooting this weekend. I'm heading up north. Shooting, snowmobiling, fires and eating too much. Need I say more! Oh yeah drinking too much (not while shooting).

Thanks guys.

Tom
Old 02-25-2008, 11:39 AM
bigcountry

Most were 2.101". I'll be shooting this weekend. I'm heading up north. Shooting, snowmobiling, fires and eating too much. Need I say more! Oh yeah drinking too much (not while shooting).

Thanks guys.

Tom
Sounds like your doing everything right. But if your bulging cases, your crimping too much.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only one the first one.

Tom

Quick Reply: 45-70 Suggestions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.