Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

45-70 Suggestions

Old 01-11-2008, 04:05 PM

Default RE: 45-70 Suggestions

All very good advice...You can do every thing you need to do as far as loading
with the LEE DIES and at a cheaper price.I have used them for years..I even
use them to load my black powder shells..No problems what so ever..There crimp is as good as any.
But get what you can afford to get,and go from there..
I have always had the best of luck with the 400 grain flat nose bullet(cast)
and standard rifle primers..One thing I would like to mention is your going to scope
your rifle get enough eye relief in it..That 400 gr. will rap you good...So don't grow up on
the stock man..

As far as brass,I have always used Winchester..I had Federals split after 4 to 7 loadings..
Trim length is important like mentioned..Star brass is very brittle and should be anneled
before loading..

The best advice is get yourself some manuals and read them..Good luck and good hunting..[8D]
Old 01-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not be afraid of cast bullet's if I were you, but that is just my opinion. And yes I recommend them for two reason's. One reason is price and the other is that I truly believe cast bullet's in a 45-70 yield better results.

You can order a bunch of custom cast bullets, but I would not. IMO this "custom" cast bullet is hog wash. I have shot thousands of cast bullets bought from small local shops, with no problem. Being in Michigan I know there are alot of gunshops up there, and you should have no problem finding an inexpensive bullet that was cast by someone local. Personally I would buy a mould, lead pot, pouring ladle, and some pan lube-then cast them myself. It is actually pretty simple. Then later if you find you like it then you can upgrade your equipment.

But keep in mind that lead prices are way up-so there is a drastic increase in bullet prices. And if you are going to pay the price for "custom" bullets-then slug your barrel first-or have a gunsmith do it(chamber casting that you can measure for exact bore size). Most casters recommend going .001 to .002 over bore size.

Yes the Lyman dies are more expensive. But you get what you pay for. As far as brass is concerned-most any brass is good. Remember you are shooting a low pressure round. I prefer the Nickel brass-but I like shiny things.

Do not forget about Black Powder. I can shoot about 500 Black Powder rounds for $100. Tom.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:19 PM

I'll second Winchester brass. I've had best luck with it in almost everything. Most the others are either thin or brittle or both.

The fellow I suggested as source for lead bullets franklymakes as good orbetter bullets than I can and I've been casting bullets for50 years. His bullets are beautiful, perfectly lubed and sized exactly like he says they will be. (I've mic'ed them.) My only complaint with his bullets is they are TOO hard for my preferences. I can't see them doing great deal of expanding unless they hit something pretty solid. But .45 caliber bullets don't need to expand much.

As for the cost of lead, that's where the scrounging game comes in. In my 50 years of bullet casting I've actually bought very little lead. Most stations and tire stores will give or sell old wheel weights pretty cheap, although this isn't the gold mine it once was. Find some house remodler and ask him to save or sell you the old lead pipe covers he takes off vents. Guys who lay tile for a living frequently have to rip up an old lead shower basin and that amounts to 70 or 80 lbs of pure lead at a whack. I never had a problem finding lead for little or nothing. Getting linotype, tin or something good to alloy with it to harden it up some is the trick.

I wouldn't waste my time slugging the barrel, although Lyman Handbooks preach this sillinessad nauseum. The truth is you know your going to be shooting an oversized bullet, so who cares what the bore diameter is. If you happen to go .001 or even .002 oversize, it doesn't hurt a thing. Cast bullets are soft enough that they will swage down to the size they need to be in about the first 1/2" of travel down your barrel. It's the undersized bullets that will cause you problems with poor seal and leading as the gas cuts around them down the barrel.

And let's not forget that the 45/70 was built for lead bullets. No doubt it will shoot them and thrive.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:25 PM

Head, I did not mean to dispute your suggestion about buying cast bullets locally. Anyone who can find someone locally who builds a good cast bullet would be my first choice as well...by all means. I suggested the commercial link only because it is/was a for sure thing for anyone who did not have a local source. So long as the price, quality and diameter is right........buy locally for sure. Sometime gunshows will have a cast bullet maker show up with his wears and usually they are at a good price. The serious cast bullet shooter is a scrounger who always has his eyes open.

I used to always watch the ground when I pulled up to a stop light. Frequently if a car is going to drop a wheel weight, you'll find it lying in the road at a stop sign. I'm never to busy to reach down and scoop them up.[:-]
Old 01-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: statjunk

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

The 45/70 is one of the best cast bullet cartridges ever built. The old Lyman 400 gr round nose is about the perfect bullet for it. I wouldn't even consider jacketed bullets, frankly. Big waste of money. Some may think it takes some huge jacketed bullet to penetrate a bear but that simply isn't true. I watched the Lyman 400 gr cast bullet go through both sides of a 6" steel pipe one day when I was doubting it would penetrate one side. I think that will handle any black bear that ever breathed and probably most grizzly.
Where would I find the Lyman bullets at? Or is that a form of casting that you do on your own?

Thanks

Tom
This family in Delta Junction AK makes excellent custom bullets. They will make the diameter you want, and the hardness you want too.... http://bullshop.gunloads.com/
Old 01-12-2008, 02:16 PM

Another good place for cast bullets is Buffalo Arms or Midwayusa....The biggest thing
is paying for shipping...

I get my soft lead from midway to mix with the wheel weights to make a softer bullet
One seven lb.Bar will go a long ways...I got a bear a few years ago in Maine with
a 416 grain cast bullet..It knocked the snot out of him..One shot was all it took
to put his butt to the ground...There is a family in N E Pa. That hunt with nothing
but cast bullets and they seem to have good luck with them...Good luck in what
ever you decide to do...
Old 01-12-2008, 04:18 PM

Good suggestions all. We should never forget the roll cast bullets have played in the world. Most shooters think jacketed bullets are the only way but the truth is cast bullets did all the heavy lifting long before the first jacketed bullet ever came on the scene...and they still work great. Some rifle calibers just really seen to thrive on them. Ex. I never saw a 30 caliber rifle that wouldn't shoot them mighty good.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:09 PM

I think one of the biggets problems people have with the cast bullet
idea,is being misimformed about them..
All the bad things that can or may happen to your gun and how you
can not use them for hunting,etc.
My God,look at all the game that has been killed with the little ole
round ball and a patch,with Black powder..Most of this information
is all a bunch of Bull ****..
The biggest problem is how they will ruin your barrel...Look how many
runs are put through the little ole 22 rifles..Are the jacketed? I don't
think so..How many times do you think these guys are cleaning that
little 22 rifle? Very seldom is my guess...Sure it is true that you can't
run them at super high velocitys..But you can put gas checks on
them if you do want to speed them up a bit.
We have shot hundreds of them out of the 30-06,and with no ill
effects..Our club used to have military rifle shoots..No scopes and all
cast bullets..There were.o3A3's-8mm's-303 british,etc And these guys
shoot hundres of cast bullets.....So get over the fear of this and fire
away all you want..Just use some common sense when loading and
you choices of powder....Let the lead fly..[8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok I'm on the cast bullet band wagon now. I've never fired a non-jacketed bullet so this is a bit new to me. I purchased a lb of IMR 3031 over the weekend. Now I just need to get the dies, brass, and lead bullets. I'm going to go with Winchester brass, the M-dies. I'm going to contact the guy pavomesa suggested about the bullets. Seems resonable. Hopefully he'll work with me and give me a variety.

I've got two questions:

1) Is my Marlin a microgroove or ballard style? It doesn't say microgroove. It does have 4 stars on the barrel on each side of the rifle info. I just purchased it last week so it is a new model.

and

2) How many loadings can you get out of the brass before you have to throw them out? Approximately of course.

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 AM
bigcountry

Stat, its ballard, you are good for cast.

Quick Reply: 45-70 Suggestions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.