Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Case trimmer question

Old 09-13-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Case trimmer question

I am thinking of upgrading to a power case trimer. I am looking at the Lyman and the RCBS. Just reading the discrpitions isn't helping much.

Does anyone own either one and can offer some goood advice on pros & cons?? The price is close enough as to not make a difference.

Thanks

Old 09-13-2007, 10:44 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Case trimmer question

I can't say about the lymans. Never used one. But for the RCBS, I got varying case lengths up to .008". I didn't like that. I know the RCBS screw lock can slip. Especially if I have a lever like on the electric attatchment shoving it.

I have used a gracey and think they are pretty awesome but expensive.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 PM

Bigcountry,

Thanks for the reply. I use a plainRCBS now, can't remember the model, but I only get a.002" to .003"variance. I didn't even think about that. If that is what to expect I gues I'll keep doing it manually.
What is a "gracey"??

BTW, I grew up in Western MD before I joined the service.

Thanks again
Old 09-14-2007, 08:07 AM
bigcountry

http://www.precisionreloading.com/graceytrimmer.htm

Little pricey but I feel its the best.

I moved to Westminster, in 1996, moved from ky.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:20 AM

Bigcountry,

Thanks for the link. I don't think it is too bad. Only $40 more than I can get the RCBS locally. The shell holders is were the cost will come in, but I like the idea of using the shoulder as the datum point. Looks like a early Christmas present to me.

Thanks again and goodluck in the up coming season.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Lyman Universal trimmer and I don't know how you could find one much better or any easier to use. The only thing you change when switching calibers is the pilot and that takes a whole 30-40 seconds and you get 9 pilots with it.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:03 PM

SJAdventures,

Thanks for the info on the Lyman. I don't know anyone who has one and was wondering how the collet held the case. Sounds like it very simple.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use an RCBS power station with a Lee cutter that I drilled a hole into the center of the cutter and epoxy'd the threaded shank from an RCBS case neck brush. Thread in the case length gauge and flip the switch. Only thing left to do is to put a case into the lock stud, works well enough especially when trimming lots of cases. Trims, chamfers and deburrs each case at one shot.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ripstop

SJAdventures,

Thanks for the info on the Lyman. I don't know anyone who has one and was wondering how the collet held the case. Sounds like it very simple.
It is a really nice trimmer and the collet holds the case great and is very easy to use. Made good too.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:23 PM

so what is the best manual for the money? lyman universal? I need to get one soon.

Quick Reply: Case trimmer question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.