Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

RL22 tem sensitive

Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RL22 tem sensitive

Does anyone know if reloader 22 is temperature sensitive, if so to what degree, say from low 80"s to say 40 degrees. thanks John G
Old 08-21-2007, 08:51 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: RL22 tem sensitive

Oh yea, RL22 and 25 seem to be the most sensitive I have seen. I have a great RL22 load I worked up in 10F day and then tried it months later on a 90F day and it locked the brass up in my chamber. Also, I lose up to 50-80fps from a 90F day to a cold 20F day in my 300Win mag with RL22. But its accurate on both days, so I will continue to use it.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info BC.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:54 AM
Typical Buck

The Hodgon line of powders are all suposed to be non-temp sensitive.I use H-4831 SC in my .338 Win Mag all the time with225gr Hornadys.Re22 in my 6.5x55's [140gr]+RE22 54gr with 115gr Partitions in the 25-06,54gr of H-4831 SC for the Hornady 120HP Same gun.I should chrony the RE22 loads in -20F and see where they are at compared to 0 F.The deer ,moose and elk havn't complained at any velocity loss so far but there's bound to be some with RE22..................Harold
Old 08-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

I use strictly RE-22 in my 6.5x55 and it's the best performing powder I have found for it. I recently read an article in a mag., maybe handloader or rifle shooter don't remember, about RE-22 being very consistant in temp. extremes. The author was working up a load for a hunt in cold temp. and found several powders shot quite well with the bullet he was using. He said he settled on RE-22 because it was far less temp. sensitive than the other powders he was using. I used my 6.5x55 last winter to take my first elk. Temp. was 12 degrees that morning. On a hunt for exotics, my wife used it on a goat, and my brother used it on a corsican ram and an Angora goat. Temp. that day never got above 10 degrees. It performed perfectly in every case.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 AM

I know that Temperature plays big part in shooting, and withallpowders. A couple of Rules of Thumb. one related to the topic, and another tied to the first.

For every 20 degree increase in Temp from when you ZERO your rifle, your bullet strike will be 1 inch higher for every hundred yards
For every 20 Degree decrease in temp from when you zero, your rifly will shoot 1 inch lower for every hundred yards.

that undoubtedly applies to your powders.

Non powder related, but good info is this...Humidity

For every 20 % increase in Humidity, round will be 1 inch lower for every 100 hundred yards
For every 20 % decrease in Humidity, round will be 1 inch HIGHER for every hundred yards.

These increase and decrease in strike of your round ARE APPROXIMATE, but close enough to count as an inch.

This is what is taught at most sniper schools, including the Army School. Just one way that "tactical" knowledge can help the hunter.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:36 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

For every 20 degree increase in Temp from when you ZERO your rifle, your bullet strike will be 1 inch higher for every hundred yards
For every 20 Degree decrease in temp from when you zero, your rifly will shoot 1 inch lower for every hundred yards.
I think that only applies to ball powder. I do alot of long range shooting, and you won't see near that with H1000, or H4831sc, etc.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:08 PM

You may be right. That is just the rule of thumb I learned form the Army Sniper School. I found this to be ver accurate from zeroing in 80 degree weather in California, to 40 degeres and killing Prairie dogs in South Dakota with my .308. I shoot Vhita Vouri N165 in my .338 Lapua, 4895 in my.308, and varget in my .223. Problem I have is that most days the temp is close to the same, and I have to drive 4 hours to get to a range that I can really play on with that big gun. It might be a generalization that does not work for all guns, but for what I shoot, it has worked for me. The humidity bit should apply universally though.
Thanks for the info though. I will keep that in mind in the future when I am shooting.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:11 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

You may be right. That is just the rule of thumb I learned form the Army Sniper School. I found this to be ver accurate from zeroing in 80 degree weather in California, to 40 degeres and killing Prairie dogs in South Dakota with my .308. I shoot Vhita Vouri N165 in my .338 Lapua, 4895 in my.308, and varget in my .223. Problem I have is that most days the temp is close to the same, and I have to drive 4 hours to get to a range that I can really play on with that big gun. It might be a generalization that does not work for all guns, but for what I shoot, it has worked for me. The humidity bit should apply universally though.
Thanks for the info though. I will keep that in mind in the future when I am shooting.

Yea, humidity is a killer. Especially on the east coast.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

I am glad a read this post. I went out this morning (temp approx 90 degrees) to shoot and was 4 inches high. I had loaded and zeroed these rounds at a much lower temp. I'll lower it 2 inches and then I should be good for elk this October.

Quick Reply: RL22 tem sensitive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.