Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Brass

Old 01-18-2007, 09:19 AM

Default Brass

Okay, I mostly see ya'll talking/using Rem and Win brass in the posts. Is there something wrong with PMC and Federal or is it justthe cost factoring in?
What I'm looking at is 7mm-08 and 30-06 brass on Ebay. Some are selling once-fired, headstamped sorted and cleaned for roughly $10/100 @$4.25/100 Priority Mail (Or $8.50 for larger orders up to 700). But in blog it states "PMC will be sent UNLESS another brand is specified at time of auction end". As I am pretty much an untrusting soul, it got me to wondering as to the why.
I understand I will have to FLR them after inspecting them for the usual signs of lil' things that will cause me or my rifles harm. Cracks, stretch marks, shoulder dents etc. Is there anyone using this type of supply and is issues common? Hate to buy 400 30-06 just to toss out 275 of them.
On a side note, Ol' Masters of Reloading, it sure would be a nice touch for ya'll to take some photo close-ups of case problems with proper labels so us starting out loners can better identify them early and get them pinned to the top, too.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:03 AM

Default RE: Brass

I have bought a bunch of once-fired PMC .45 ACP brass off e-Bay and elsewhere, and there's nothing wrong with it. I would't want a bunch of PMC .223 brass, though. All the PMC .223 brass I've seen has crimped primer pockets. Crimped primer pockets does not make the brass unusable, just a lot more work.

I can't speak for other calibers of PMC rifle brass, but given the choice, I would probably not choose PMC rifle brass. I just don't know enough about it, so I would choose something more familiar to me, like Win or Rem. If it's the same price, why bother taking the chance?

I recently bought a bunch of once-fired Federal .375 H&H brass. It's proven to be really good stuff. As a general rule, though, I don't think Federal brass is as common. When I see new brass in the shops, I mainly see Rem and Win brands being sold. Maybe this is why you more commonly hear people referring to these two brands.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would just keep things as simple as possible. Use winchester or remington brass because its readily available everywhere. Segregate the brass by headstamp- there will likely be differences in the same load in two diffferent brands of brass. If you want really good brass, buy Lapua. The price is steep, but if you want the best accuracy, its worth it.

As far as brass failure, the most common that I've had is split necks, I don't have a picture handy, but it will be obvious to you when you see a split neck.

I've had a casehead blowout/failure once. Its spectacular to the point that I'm suprised I didn't poop my pants. It took me a few months before I could pick that gun up again and shoot it because of fear. This particular rupture happened in a 9mm pistol round in a beretta 92fs, it blew the trigger bar out of the frame and peeled back the right grip leaving my hand stinging, I was also hit in the face with hot bits of brass and burning powder. Fortunately this wasn't one of my reloads, but was 'remanufactured' ammo that commonly found in my area- probably made by some hack with an automated press that let a double charge through the system.[:@]NEVER USE SOMEONE ELSE'S RELOADS IN YOUR GUNS AND NEVER BUY REMANUFACTURED AMMUNITION- YOUR GUN NOT TO MENTION YOUR EYES AND LIMBS ARE FAR MORE VALUABLE THAN THE DOLLAR OR TWO THAT YOU WILL SAVE!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:30 AM
bigcountry

I used to buy my brass off ebay. But never again. Espeically if someone says its been clean and prepped. Cause if it has been cleaned andprepped, its by someone that reloads. I found out the hard way, I got brass that was shot to death. And you rip off the head off one, and that will keep ya from doing it again.

Iwill buy it from someon that I know reloads. But thats it for me.

Also, I love federal brass. The bad news is usually after 3 loads maybe 4, the primers pockets get loose.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like to take chances with things I'm unsure of. I order my brass from one of the catalog companys, usually Midsouth Shooters. You can usually get exactly what you want from who you want.