Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

handload Accuracy

Old 11-26-2002, 12:44 PM

Default handload Accuracy

Maybe this is a dumb question... are handloads that much more accurate than factory loads ? It seems to me that with all the 'premium ammo available....it would be hard to beat. Im getting ready to start hand loading for my .223 I ordered...for accuracy reasons... any tips, comments, suggestions ? I do appreciate your experianced input !

Thanks again guys !

Tom
Old 11-26-2002, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: handload Accuracy

Just wait until you see the difference !!!! Even with the so called "preimium ammo"?

Mounting Man/in PA.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:56 PM

The difference is unimaginable!! Especially with a super accurate round like the .223. Even the most "premium" ammo can't match the accuracy of handloads. If you're going to shoot a super accurate round like this you MUST handload. As far as tips and advice get a couple of books on the subject. Lee has one of the best on the subject. There are a few others but the titles escape me at the moment. Attention to detail and round to round consistency are the keys to extreme accuracy. This means everything from case preperation to crimp pressure. Just be warned, IT IS ADDICTIVE! It's a blast though!
Old 11-26-2002, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on how serious you are about handloading.If you simply pick a load or two from a manual and load them up and shoot them they will probably be no more accurate that good factory loads.If however you choose several powder and bullet combinations and test them with different charge weights and seating depths you will probably find a load that is much more accurate than your factory loads.Each gun is an individual and you must find the best load for it by trial and error.Just because a load is a handload does not mean it will be more accurate than all factory loads.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are undoubtedly some lots of factory ammo in many calibers that would shoot very well, but in all probability, you can work up a handload for a particular rifle that will outperform almost any
factory stuff. And, this is also true of load performance charactaristics other than accuracy (velocity, bullet type, etc.). There are many different calibers for which high-performance factory ammo is just not avaliable. Calibers for which I have found it possible to greatly exceed the performance level of any factory ammo available in the U.S. include 7X57mm Mauser, 7mm Remington Magnum, and 8X57JS Mauser. And there are others as well.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 11-28-2002, 09:35 PM

Like the others said your degree of accuracy will depend on how many different loads you try in your part. gun.

Some guns like lighter loads while others like those high pressures. Try as many different powders and bullet sizes as you can and shoot for groups not accuracy. You can always move the sights after you get the group you want.

I hand load for all my guns (shotguns included) and have never found any factory load that will even come close to the groups I get with my handloads.

I go even farther and have two loads for each gun. My 22-250 for example will produce 5 shot groups you can lay a quarter over at 100 yards with 36 grains of 4064 and ballistic tip bullets but this powder does not go through my powder drop as well as some so if I am serious I must drop the load from the powder drop and then weigh it to check accuracy.

With 414 this gun will shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards and this powder flows through powder drop great. So if I am loading to just target practice or praire dog hunt I will load with this powder and bulk bullets for ease and cheapness of bullets.

Coyotes get the ballistic tips!!!

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"