Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Chronographs?

Old 12-13-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chronographs?

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

there is really nothing a chrony tells me that a loadbook or target doesent.
I don’t know about anybody else but it was an eye opener for me with velocity when it came time to compare the reading from the chrono to the reloading books...
Old 12-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

cma3366a, I just wanted to point out that reloading books do not necessarily print the correct velocity that one might get with a rifle. Until one tests there loads with a chrono there is no way of knowing for sure. I have no intentions on arguing with you on your methods of reloading and if you should use the chrono or not. To each his own...
Old 12-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: trailer

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

there is really nothing a chrony tells me that a loadbook or target doesent.
I don’t know about anybody else but it was an eye opener for me with velocity when it came time to compare the reading from the chrono to the reloading books...
That's kinda what I'm figured. It sure looks like it would make things a lot easier trying to put a load on paper when field testing at longer ranges. I'd also like to have a little better idea on the deviation of each load.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:17 PM
bigcountry

Chrono's are invaluable, if one likes long range shooting. It helps you get your ballistics models correct. It also is important to reloaders. I mean, we want performance. bottom line.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Replaced myshot up chrony[:@] with a pro chono and so far so good. Word to the wise anybody that may shoot a ML over a chrono make sure to protect your unit with something...anything cuz them sabots can be rough on the little suckers!

Old 12-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the cheap F1 Chrony. Works great. I got it to check the quality of my loads. Thought if something was wrong, it would show up in velocity. To my surprise, my loads were very close, maybe abovewhat the manual stated. Made me feel good about the loads I created.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:54 AM

Sounds like a "Chrony Convention"........

[/align]Yep, I got the Beta Master as well. I live not to far from where they make them, and for the money, you can't not have one. Kinda like the days just before the microwave where you thought "what the hell do I need that for ?", then once you had it, you couldn't live without one.

There's more to ballistic's than just accuracy, and the speed of the bullet (in a particular area of barrel harmonic's) has more to do with accuracy than does just hitting it lucky. Like it was mentioned, knowing your bullet's velocity, is knowing your bullet's drop & energyat various ranges throughout your shooting distances.

[/align]If you hunt at longish ranges, this is a must.

My findings over the years, are exactly what you fella's mentioned regarding a higher book listing than what my chronograph had been showing. Mostly all, except for several loads with 4895. It was a little lower but much closer.

[/align]If you are a knowledgible loader, and careful regarding signs & pressures, you can build your loads up to your needed levels using that chronograph. Without one, you'd be driving blind, and I wouldn't even try.

FWIW......

[/align]Take care,
Bob

[/align][/align]
Old 12-16-2006, 08:26 AM

i have the professional pact chronograph and it works really well. plus it can calulate energy, and trajectery. it cost about $300 through cabelas but its well worth it for custom loads.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info, guys.

Quick Reply: Chronographs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.