Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

To tumble or not to tumble...

Old 11-09-2006, 07:44 PM

Default To tumble or not to tumble...

I am new to reloading and reading the'Modern Reloading' book and found something interesting. The book stated that tumblers can create lead 'dust' or deposits from cleaning out the cases.Also media left behind in the case can cause increased pressure and problems. It stated that it is better to polish them with steel wool etc. What do you all do? How would you clean the inside of the case them?

Second, does anyone reload 7mm Rem. Mags and want to pass on a good load to start with? Powder, bullet brand and/or primers? I am hunting deer here in VA and would probably go no more than a 140g bullet.My shots would probably be between 100-200 yds out.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sean
Old 11-09-2006, 08:01 PM

Default RE: To tumble or not to tumble...

I always clean my brass before loading. Cleancases are easier to inspect for problems.As for media in the brass, you obviously need to get it out and make sure the flash hole is clear.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

I tumble all my brass. Just make sure you smack the backside to get any media out.It really isn't needed to get them sparkling clean. Just make sure thereisn't any grit that could scratch the chamber.

60 gr of IMR4831 with a 140 gr works for me.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a little known (among hunters), inexpensive secret.

Krazy Kloth

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=KK&type= store

or 1/2 the price available at
http://www.the5and10.com/more-products.cfm?CategoryID=29

Tumbling is a nasty buisness, the krazy cloth does a nice job of removing 90percent of the grime with just a quick rub, and it doesent carry with lead dush hazzards of a tumbler. I very rarely use my tumber anymore, And even when I do, mines rotary, not quite as violent as a vibrating unit.
I use something similar to that, a lead removal cloth. I Use a Lee case trimmer chucked up in a drill, trim, chamfer, then clean the brass allat once. The downside is that it doesn't remove the grit and crud from inside of the brass.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 PM

Tumbling helps to clean the brass to make it easier to inspect for bad spots, and also, cosmetics are everything.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:01 AM

I always tumble my cases before de-capping. Use a lot of cases picked up from ranges and want to look at them really good.If a really accurate load is my goal, I will use a primer pocket uniformer and chamfer the flash hole. This also takes care of media in the flash hole. Never did worry about lead in the media and will not start now.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always tumble before resizing, not because I absolutely have to, but because I want to. Never had a problem.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

Tumbling helps to clean the brass to make it easier to inspect for bad spots, and also, cosmetics are everything.

Yep! Thats exactly what I was thinking!

Also Here is my best load for the 7 mag

Case -Frontier
Bullet -Barnes TSX
Powder -RL 22 (140)
Charge -67gr
Primer -Federal Match Large Mag Rifle

Shoots perfect clovers at 100 yads and stays sub MOA out to 400. Plust the TSX is an outstanding bullet!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:35 PM

I haven't had any problems with media staying in the case. I just look them over good first and evey now-n-then I have to knock a peice of cob out with a case brush or sometimes I use a 3 inch screw (it was just lying around and worked).

I have had great success with this load for my 7mm mag.
Case Length: Standard OAL
Powder: 63.5 grains of IMR4831
Primer:Federal Magnum primers
Bullet: Hornady Boattail Spire Point

I have gotten 3/8" groups from my Ruger No. 1 w/this load.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: To tumble or not to tumble...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.